Amanda, Home Owner in Middleburg, FL

Will a local agent (middleburg / orange park) be willing to help me post my home on the MLS?

Asked by Amanda, Middleburg, FL Wed Mar 2, 2011

I am in the process of selling my house on my own. I have created a website and posted my property on a few different real estate websites, but I am unable to do the MLS part on my own. I'm hoping I might be able to find someone who would be able to work quickly with me to post my home on the local MLS. I assume there would be some kind of fee?

Hi Amanda, there are several "flat fee" realtors that will list on the MLS for you if you pay them a fee. You MUST also offer compensation to a Realtor that brings your buyer in order to be listed on the MLS.

To attract a Realtor willing to show your property you should plan on paying 3% or a minimum of $1,500--unless your home sells above $300k, then you may be able to discount the buyer's realtor side of the equation.

Whichever flat fee realtor you decide to go with, just make sure they pay the extra marketing fees to Realtor.com or your property cannot have a customized description and may be limited on the photos.

Also if you're planning to go it alone on the listing side make sure to hire an attorney to review any offers before you sign them. There are a lot of scammers that targer flat fee listing sellers because they know they may not be adequately represented. You could end up losing money by not having a full service Realtor or attorney review every offer before signing.

Hope this helps.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 3, 2011

By listing the home yourself and creating your own website, you may be missing out on positioning your home at the top of search engine results pages. I don't know about you, but when I search for something on the web I rarely look past the first page or two of search results. That's why all of my listings are "enhanced" on Realtor.com and Trulia. My listings will appear at the top of searches and are typically on the first page. You want to ensure the most buyers will see your home on the top websites, so you need to show up on the first couple of pages.

If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks and good luck,
Scott Sullivan
Prudential Network Realty
3535 Highway 17, Suite 10
Fleming Island, FL 32003

C: 904-327-5676

I applaud your efforts to try and sell you home by yourself although I think you may be doing yourself a disservice. You are correct that you want your house to be listed on the MLS as this is the authoritative source that real estate professional use to list, find and EVALUATE properties. I emphasize the word EVALUATE because it is one of the key benefits of using a license agent for your transaction. An agent will help you price your home correctly, market your home, advise you on best practices for getting your home ready to sell, consult with you on the local market and what to expect and stay on top of any offers, contracts, inspections and contingencies to make sure the transaction comes to completion. A lot to tackle even for agents with many years of experience let alone someone with relatively little experience doing so. Yes, there is a fee that comes with this service but I am sure that it will save you money and grief in the long run. The last thing you want to do is overprice your property and watch it sit, or get in the constant cycle of price reductions while you chase the market down. (If it continues down). If you underprice your home it could end up costing you thousands.

So the answer is yes you are correct and need to be on MLS and you get that by working with an agent... along with a whole lot more.

Hope that helps,

Robin Brooks
Why not consider interviewing in person a few local agents from different realty companies and then consider hiring the one you like best--after all your house is your home; emotions are homebound---selling your house is a business transaction. In a business, a professional is able to best to protect your interests. A real estate professional is better at selling your house than you could be at selling your home.
MLS listing is for agents to post the homes THEY are selling...

Good luck with your sale Amanda,