andaor, Home Seller in Edison, NJ

Why would an agent want to retain a listing once the relationship between the agent and the sellers goes bad?

Asked by andaor, Edison, NJ Sat Apr 20, 2013

Answers

10
Most wouldn't. However, a listing is owned by the company, not the listing agent. Companies are not that quick to release sellers. If you are having trouble with your listing agent, see if you can work it out. Many times, it's a misunderstanding. If not, speak with his/her manager and see if the manager can intervene. Often times that settles the problem. If it does not, then speak to the owner of the company and find another agent to represent you.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Depends on the agent but I would not. It makes no sense to continue to work with someone if the relationship is no longer intact. Sorry that is a tough one
Tom
You never walk away..Selling a home is team work ..Sometimes the team would not agree....But when the air clears and the home sells everyone is happy.Sometimes its hard hearing your home is not worth what you think it is..Or you have to fix a few items..But the seller is looking for your help that is why he hired you....Become freinds at te closing table....
To prevent another agent from having it.
Andor,

The listing agreement you sign when listing your home is a binding contract with the Real Estate Agency. The agent represents the broker of record, the owner of the company. The broker "owns" the listing contract and can make the decision on whether or not to release the seller from the contract. The broker can assign another agent to handle the listing if the relationship is strained. It is not matter of the broker "allowing" the agent to release you, rather it is a business decision by the broker to keep the signed (agreed upon) listing contract in the office to sell your home. In most cases the broker has no idea that you are at odds with your agent!

If your relationship has gone bad with your current agent, speak to the broker to have another agent handle your listing -or- you can ask to be released from your listing contract. Once you have that conversation with the broker, I am sure that the issues will be resolved.

Best of luck to you! let us know how your conversation goes and the outcome!

John Sacktig
Broker/Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
Yes, Speak to the broker of record for the company, or the office manager. I am sure you will come to some amicable agreement. Sorry for your troubles! Selling a home can pretty stressful on its own without added issues! Good Luck!
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
I am going to take my house off the marker for sellling. I can wait another year to sell and will rent our home instead. In the mean time request a new agent.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
MONEY, MONEY, MONEY now you understand. For everyone who reads this: real estate contracts provided by agents protect the interest of the real estate brokers FIRST, then their agents then the parties involved in the contracts. This business is about money first, then helping others with their needs. Many times contracts need to be reviewed by your attorney before signing them; if the attorney is smart he will add a generic out clause for you. Now the question is how to proceed and you have a couple of options, one you can check with your attorney an see if there is some mundane law which might let you out of the contract (make sure you get a release), second you can try to work things out with your agent, third you can go to the broker & request another agent represent you. Good Luck PS the act of buying, selling or building your home starts with negotiation about the terms of the contract, agents contracts represent the interest of the agents, builders contracts represent the interest of the builder and homeowner attorney provided contracts represent the interest of the homeowner.
Never heard of an "attorney review" period for a listing contract. The listing contract is pretty simple in black and white and straight forward. As you note Andaor, it is the agent that represents you. This is where your due diligence comes to play in selecting a Realtor to represent you. That is why I present a full detailed package of personal and company information to every listing I take... the homeowner will see "in hand" what I do and what my company will do to sell your home. I also advise the seller to speak with 3 realtors and not sign anything until you are satisfied with your choice of realtor and the company behind them.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
Thank you for your response. Next time..my attorney will be reading the contract and the date of the contract will be a shorter time period allowing me, the seller, a way out in case the agent is incompetent. Not all agents are at the same level of experience, understand networking and really know how to sell a property. It is difficult to know what level they are at unless you begin working with them.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
Most likely because theis is how they make their living and they have a duty to sell the property. Any relationship can be fixed if both parties are willing.

Chris
It may be about them feeling they can continue doing the sales promotions with minimal contact with the customer and find a buyer for the property. If your relation has deteriorated to the point of wanting to throw in the towel, it may be time to contact their broker to see if they have a solution that would work for you.

Thank you for your response. It looks like I will be requesting a new agent.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
Maybe a chance to reconcile the differences and find the love once lost or the commission.
Is the commission of a RENTAL really worth it? As a seller and owner of my home is a one time $1000 commission really worth negative word of mouth for the brokerage company? Also, as the seller we can choose not to show the home until the end of the contract and it expires.

Is the money more important than repeat customers and reputation?
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
This is an interesting question.

Knowing the details would really help address your concern.

In NJ, the listing agreement a seller signs is with the Real Estate Broker the Agent represents and not the Agent. So an Agent may want to release and the Broker won't allow them.

As an Independent Brokerage we consider client relationships the most important thing we do. It is more important to us to have a satisfied customer who recommends us over and over again then to have a displeased customer just to get a commission.

The bottom line is that selling a home is one of the most stressful times a person can go through. The seller should be confident in their Agent and the Brokerage they are using.
I totally agree with you that the relationship between the client and agent is the most important. Bad word of mouth and internet blogging these days is a game changer. Referrals and referrences are very important in my opinion for repeat customers and future business. I will never refer any of my friends or family to this agent or to the broker and plan on writing more about my situation on her onlline rating.
We gave the agent a fair amount of time, 6mo to sell the home, and now we are at a point we need to rent the home and move to our new home. Agents get more commission on selling than renting of course so her focus was to still show for sales although we switched to renting. For the last two weeks, our agent still has not brought us over the papers to remove the sale listing so we can concentrate on renting it. We are in a limbo now with no progress. I understand commission is the way to realtors earn their livelyhood but it just seems very desperate at this point.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013