Victorias, Home Seller in Fort Worth, TX

Why isn't my house getting any showings?

Asked by Victorias, Fort Worth, TX Thu May 22, 2014

Listed house 24 days ago, not one showing, no calls nothing. Listed with a realtor, in the MLS, showing up on all the websites as for sale. All information, details about home, realtors number correct etc. Has a lockbox, for sale sign in yard. Homes are selling in the area. The price is comparable to comps, in fact listed just under. The house in the next street over, same model/sq ft etc, which had been on for 30 days went under contract yesterday, I called the listing agent to ask if they had been getting many showings and she said yes. This house was 3,000 more in price than ours.

We dropped the price after 10 days by 5,000 and then 10 days later dropped it again to be just under the 125,000 search cut-off hoping it would create more traffic. No interest at all, 20 photos online, house is in good condition. What are we doing wrong. Realtor says to be patient.....but 24 days, no showings, other houses more expensive than ours pending. I'm anxious.

Answers

12
"Usually" the biggest turn off is the price. If you feel you are priced right, or at least, close to market value, you should look at your online presence. Have a neutral person look at your photos, they might see things you don't. The best comps will be your sold comps. Houses that are currently for sale may not reflect what your home will actually sell for.
Are the photos online of top quality and do they depict the features that will entice buyers to take a look?
Usually its one of 3 things starting off with PRICE. Why not go take a look at the competition? Take notes! whats the differences? Be very specific!! What do they have? what don't you have ? ex: they have granite counter tops you have granite tops. ok good they have new cabinets you do not. OOOPS not so good. See what I mean. The bathroom has a travertine shower, you have white tile etc. Start with as you drive up to the house what is your impression of the overall neighbor hood on the street, that particular house. Everything adds up. In the end the better the house over all the higher the price, Not as great not as much. Good Luck!!!!!!!!! ITs about Price Location and Quality!!!!
Amy Gibbo
I know when we were looking for a house, there was one, we were debating on, but the smoke smell was so bad, we decided against it, didn't want it in my furniture. It was in an area that was very desirable to us.So that can be a big turn off.
Hi Victorias,

Just curious how things turned out.. Update us if you can..
Bury a St Joseph statue in the front yard.
What is this meant to do, George?
Flag Mon Sep 29, 2014
Selling your own home is never easy. Oftentimes buyers make their decision based on emotional factors and their overall budget, not on price per square foot.

Consider updating pictures with all lights on to ensure the house looks warm and appealing. The 1st picture and the first 6-12 pictures are very important.

Try to remove most if not all personal items/knickknacks. What you like is not necessarily what the buyer likes.

Open houses help a lot. Lots of light, fresh but subtle smell like Febreeze, fresh paint - are all contributing factors for a good sale.

Ask what marketing efforts your Realtor is using. Be supportive and good luck!
Does your house show well on the photos and drive appeal? Does your agent do an open house and/or broker's open house? You may want to discuss with your agent what other marketing technique she/he can do. Of course, being patient helps!

I noticed from your comment below that your home backs up to a school. Depending upon the buyers, this may also have an effect on the home because of the noise level and/or traffic from the school.

My best of luck to you, please give me a thumbs up or choose best answer if my answer helps.

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2014
Yes commission is 3 percent to buyers agent. House backs up to an elementary school. The area is not a great area but ok. Price reflects this though. Realtor said only thing she thinks is people don't want to pay 125,000 in that area although it's in line with the comps, lower in fact average sold price per sq ft is 63.00, we're listed at just under 59.00 cause the house is bigger than a lot of the comps. Yet the one that's just went pending, same size, is listed at 60.00 sq ft.
It makes very little sense. Since it's getting the same market exposure as others, there has to be a reason you are getting no showings. You should speak with the agent and ask what she thinks is the problem. If it is not an issue of location, or condition, or exposure to market, I assume the commission you are giving agents is the same as the other properties? There must be some aspect of the equation that we are not hearing. Buyers ultimately determine value so you will definitely need to check with your professional to find out why buyers are not interested in even viewing..Your agent should be able to help you resolve this.. Good luck.
That sounds very frustrating - confusing too. Dropping the price early on was smart since typically if you're not even getting people in the door that's probably the source of the problem. Reducing your price early is far better than waiting and waiting.

Given that you're priced close to comparable houses it's strange that you wouldn't get any activity at all if there are similar houses going under contract. Is your location more of a deterrent than you're thinking - a busier road, backing up to something that would cause concern, etc? That may mean that your price needs a bigger adjustment relative to your competition.

Can you look at the photos with a critical eye? It's very tough to see our own homes as others see it. We become sort of blind to what it actually looks like. Are the photos appealing? Is your home shown to its best advantage? Is your décor outdated in any way? I happen to like traditional decorating and actually like wallpaper quite a bit. The majority of today's buyers however can't get past wallpaper, paint colors they don't like, older cabinets (despite the fact that older cabinets can often be sturdier and better constructed than new cabinets), etc.

I would ask your agent to go over sales activity nearby and talk about the prices of places that went under agreement and how they compared to yours. Ask her about the pace of the market and how many places are going under agreement relative to how many are on the market. 3.5 weeks without a showing is not the result you want!
I would second this advice. Recently someone at work asked why her house is not selling when others in her area priced more have. People looked at her photos -- photos she thought were fine -- and immediately saw the problems. The photos were not effective at all and In fact were actually very off-putting. Add to that problems she wasn't seeing such as bright paint colors and a very outdated kitchen. A wise buyer knows doing a kitchen spells big bucks and big trouble. An updated kitchen was also something the comps in her area did have. Plus her house was near to a school so that turned many people off instantly.

So I'd advise asking some savvy friends/family to look at your photos and to give you an honest review.. And keep in mind that some features -- such as school proximity -- will turn off large #s of buyers, so your pool of prospective buyers is smaller.
Flag Mon Sep 29, 2014
Your house is probably crappy
If you haven't seen the house, please don't comment that way to this distressed seller. There is always one house that gets overlooked; but this early on with price reductions and no realtor showings is going to cause concern. I have seen too much of this in my area and think that this is a tactic to see how low this seller will go before giving the house away. My sister and I listed our parents home for sale with a "reputable" realtor in our area and got absolutely nothing but the cards left at a twilight showing to realtors only. When the listing came off the market, she gave it over to me to list however I chose. Placed an ad in the local paper and snagged a buyer on the 6th day after the ad appeared in the paper. One of the people who viewed the house was the non-realtor wife of a licensed realtor from the office of the brokerage where we had listed the house--how unethical! Loser realtor!
Flag Fri Jun 26, 2015