Home Selling in Mabank>Question Details

Jenn, Home Buyer in Texas

Why is there a difference in sq footage from when I bought the house to when I put back on market? It has been less than 1 year.

Asked by Jenn, Texas Fri Oct 22, 2010

When I bought my house, the listing and all paperwork stated my hosue was 2200 sq ft. I have since put the house on the market (within less than 1 year) and my real estate broker listed it at 1500 sq ft. Why is this? She said the listed sq. footage was inaccurate! What? How can that be?

Answers

9
We have had our home measured 4 times by professionals and they are all different, one was drastic, it is crazy, it is like womens cloths sizes you have no standards I guess to go by anymore.
Hi Jenn,

Your question was duplicated on our site. You can thus find several additional answers to your inquiry via the link below.

Best Wishes,

Emily Erekuff
Community Moderator
Jenn,

All the previous answers are good ones. If you do not like or agree with the simple answers like asking your agent, going to the county tax records or reviewing a previous appraisal, you can always have another appraisal done.
Jenn,

You probably have an appraisal when you bought your home check that one again and if you believe that your home is 2200sqft have your own appraisal and you can write the correct sqft to your marketing tools.

Good Luck,
http://www.dallashomelist.com/blog/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 23, 2010
Jenn,
Both Nanci and Chris had excellent suggestions. Here are some additional things to consider:

1) Does 2200 sq. ft. represent the total square footage, and 1500 sq. ft. the living area (heated/cooled space)?
2) In the original listing, was there a room, such as a glassed-in porch, that had a window/wall air conditioner, and which may have been included in the living area by the previous agent?
3) Was there an unpermitted addition included in the previous square footage?

I'm sure you and your agent will get to the bottom of this. Good luck.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
Watson Realty Corp.
What is your address and I will see what I can find out what the sqaure footage is.
The 1500 sq footage came from her own measurements. She measered the enitre house herself and lsited as such.
Did your broker list it 1500 by mistake? Go to the tax appraisal district to see was the district says. If your property is in Kaufman County then you would contact the Kaufman County Appraisal District... you can probably do this online as well??

Nanci
Square footage can be from tax roles, appraisals or builder floorplans. They all may be different as well. Typically not radically like that. Ask her where this square footage number is coming from and see what it says on the appraisal you got last year.
Web Reference: http://www.ChrisTesch.com