Home Selling in Sacramento>Question Details

Trulia Sacra…, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

Why is it important to work with a local agent?

Asked by Trulia Sacramento, Sacramento, CA Fri May 24, 2013

Answers

4
It saves on gasoline.

Having a skillful, knowledgeable, trusted agent is important. Being local is nice to have, but I would put it at about #8 or 9 on the list of what is important in an agent.

The question is so general. What do you mean by local? I have made it a point to learn about selling and buying opportunities in three counties: Placer, El Dorado, and Sacramento. Am I local?

When it comes to selling, the fact that I have served my clients extremely well in all of these counties means I have a shot at selling their house for them, even if It was twenty years ago that I first sold it to them. I have earned their trust. Because part of the value that I provide was earned twenty years ago, I don't mind spending a tank or two of gas to earn a commission worth thousands.

So many times I have started looking with a buyer in one area then moved to another and another. Some times they change their minds.

If having a local agent represent a seller is so important why do the banks,Fannie, Freddie, and HUD pick a few regional listing agents instead of local agents.

Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
The answers below are right on for the edge you gain having a local professional on your team! It also supports and stimulates your local community and its economy. On average every new Real Estate purchase in California generates near $60,000.00 in new business income for subcontracting industries! That is the further proof of our local market showing its strength when all my Landscape Architect Associates are staying busy, General Contractors doing remodels and stimulating the specialty finish subcontractors. Neighborhoods are buzzing again with refreshed landscapes and pride of ownership is shining bright again. The American Spirit is renewing and it is great to see how strong our local markets are getting and it is thanks to the local buyers and sellers supporting their local Real Estate Professionals.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
A local agent will know, not only the area values, but also the neighborhood amenities, issues and concerns of the local area, and also be able to connect with the local agents who will be representing the other party to the transaction.

I believe some underestimate the power of collaboration needed between the two realtors working on a transaction. When you're local, and active in the real estate community, you often know the other realtor and can resolve issues much faster because of that. Small things like who pays the title/escrow fee, mello roos issues, etc. are minor details that it's difficult to identify unless its 'standard operating procedure' for you because you work the local area.

In addition, if you're selling a home, it's a good idea to be visiting the home often, don't you think?? Checking on condition, meeting inspectors, etc. that are all efforts easiest to schedule when you're local.
It is extremely important because the local agent is going to know the good and the bad. They will know the school districts, local churches, parks, mall, transportation. They should be able to answer any question concerning demographics. Local agents should be able to let you know what local news is effecting property values.