The Benders, Home Seller in Gilbertsville, KY

Why does it take so long or not all to get feedback from a showing?

Asked by The Benders, Gilbertsville, KY Wed Aug 24, 2011

Answers

14
Feedback is a basic component of Marketing:
Even big Corporations have a hard time getting good feedback;
Their good customers are prejudiced FOR them and are bad sources of perspective, and,
Their NON customers don't give a darn.

If someone sees your house, and they hate the colors, or the openness of the kitchen area; they are not going to say anything, they don't care and it doesn't benefit them. What are you going to do, change it for them and invite them back?

Then, you have their Agent running interference; the majority of Agents will not pass on feedback; they are concerned with their own problems, particularly, the Clients who just saw a house that they do not want to buy!

Your best source of feedback is a Broker's Open House; have you done one?
Set it up right with drinks and snacks so that they will hang around and talk.
Also, invite your neighbors in, people who are not interested in buying your house:
And when they talk, LISTEN, don't be sensative that they are criticizing your tastes; you should be decorating for the BUYERS, not yourself.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 24, 2011
It is the selling agents responsibility to request feedback and get back to their seller within a timely manner. That being said I have made multiple calls or sent emails to agents requesting feedback and simply never hear back from them. Good agents will always respond, but you occasionally run into the "slacker".
Hi again Benders!

To answer this question...........it shouldn't.

After reading your question here, and on the other thread, it is apparent that you're frustrated ..and really need to have a nice long chat with your agent.
You shouldn't have to be asking strangers about feedback and price reductions and what to do to get your house sold.
You selected an agent..........hopefully for all the right reasons. Make use of his or her expertise and knowledge of the local market.
Make a list of questions, sit down and have a conversation......ask for a record of showings... and yes, feedback, too.

If you keep hearing the buyers thought the price was too high - that's important for you to know.....if a part of the house (decor, colors, etc) doesn't work in some way for buyers, and you can do something to correct it...that's important to know.
Any input may shed some light in your situation.
You also need to be kept in the loop as to what is happening in your market.....does your agent tell you of new listings? recently closed and under contract listings?

I'd be frustrated, too, if I were kept in the dark.

I understand that home sellers need feedback, but they need feedback from honest, candid, and self-aware sources - not what Ron Thomas and Don Tepper have told you passes for "feedback" in the real estate world.

And, look. I'm just trying to help here. You're not going to get what you want. Buyers don't always express why they're rejecting a house, and agents aren't going to interrogate them on it. When I show a house, and they say, "next," we move on. I don't ask them, "What should the Seller do to make the property more appealing to you," we move on.

Your friends and neighbors are likely to agree with you and also not be a reliable source of feedback. However, I do think that your agent could set up a system for checking in on showings and repeat visits. Here in Seattle, we can get automated keybox reports, I don't know what to do in Gilbertsville but maybe a sign asking agents to leave a business card, or a note on the listing to call the agent before showing.

Hi, Getting feedback can be a frustrating process. I have found that if the agents ckient doesn't have interest at all they feel there is no need to give feedback. I agree with the answer that many agents are busy but I feel nobody is ever too busy to do something they really want to do. Many of the online appt booking companies send emails to the agents for feedback, this has a much higher success rate then the phone.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Good answers below. And Ron really gave a great answer--good choice on giving him "Best Answer."

A few other quick thoughts, some of which are mentioned below:

Lots of people (buyers and agents) don't like to give negative feedback. They just feel it's impolite. That's why some don't provide feedback. Or why you see sellers saying: "All my feedback is positive. And yet my house isn't selling." When they've said that and there have been pictures online, I've taken a look. Usually, the house looks dreadful. So the feedback might be: "Nice, large living room." Not: "Smells like a zoo. Dark and dingy, too."

Most sellers and many listing agents get defensive at negative feedback. You see that more in person, such as at a broker's open. Still . . . I've walked into terribly overcluttered homes and when the listing agent has asked: "So, what do you think?" I've responded, "Well, it probably would look better if some of this stuff were cleared out." The response has been: "We've done a lot already." Or at a recent rehab, while a lot of work had been done, the deck--stained and splintery--hadn't been touched. "Well, what do you think?" I commented that the house would show a lot better if the deck had been replaced, or at least cleaned and stained." The response: "Well, the investor only had so much money." Duh! You asked; I answered.

Along a similar line, some problems are obvious--for example, tiny bedrooms. There's nothing that can be done about them, and likely the listing agent is already aware of the problem. So many agents figure there's no point in saying, "Those bedrooms are tiny," only to have the listing agent respond, "Yes, they are a bit on the cozy side."

Also, some agents--as they see it--don't like doing the job of the listing agent. Their reaction: "It's the listing agent's job to get this place in decent condition. If he/she needs assistance, hire a stager. It's not my job to help you sell your listing."

And some agents figure that the only feedback that's appropriate is if a buyer makes an offer. No offer means: "The house wasn't suitable."

One suggestion: Often at broker's opens, agents are incentivized with gift cards--such as a $10 card for Starbucks. Or a gas card. You can do the same for any agent who shows your property and provides feedback. Or offer a card a week, given randomly to one agent who provides feedback. With an investment of $50-$100, you ought to be able to get some helpful responses.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 24, 2011
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Getting feedback can be a very frustrating process. I've found that most agents just won't take the time to send any feedback if their clients aren't interested. Personally, when I show clients properties I bring the MLS sheets with me and make comments as we go through the property about what my clients like and don't like. That way when it comes time to give feedback I have detailed notes to pass on to the listing agent. The notes also help me so that I can help my clients find what they are looking for and keep track of what they really want. I feel it's important to provide feedback and I think it's the right thing to do. When other agents show my listings I am always looking for feedback so I can't expect others to do something if I'm not willing to do it myself. That is why I take a little time out of my schedule after a day of showing properties to sit down and send feedback to all appropriate parties. However, not everyone is like that whether it's because they are too busy or just don't feel like it. When it comes down to it, agents are in business for themselves but I think taking a little time out of the day to help each other out is the best thing to do!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 24, 2011
It should not take long at all, and it doesn't when you are dealing with professionals. Feedback demonstrates that you are a professional. Agents should give attention to detail on feedback, this will show you know about the market, and that you know what buyers want. Constructive feedback resulting in a sale, creates credibility among your peers. Taking the time to provide feedback elevates the public's perception of Real Estate agents. Your peers will appreciate it and so will your clients and customers. Furthermore a failure to provide feedback may result in a failure to receive it when it is requested of you.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 24, 2011

Mainly because agents are so busy...at least in my area. Often when I work with buyers I see 6-8 houses a day and by the time an agent calls me 4 days later for feedback, I don't remember the house they are talking about. Also...the listing agent should know the defaults already. Is it priced too high? on a busy street? painted orange...so when we get voicemails, these are the last calls of the day we return.

It's just a matter of time. The best feedback I can give is if we want to write an offer.

Karen
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 24, 2011
Again, I thank you professionals for taking the time and interest in answering our questions/concerns. I contacted our former out of state realtor for her advise as well. As you all have said or confirmed...it is indeed time to hire a new real estate agent.
In other words, we as the clients, have the right to request stats! That is actually part of a realtor's job, right? As Ms. Debbie Livingston and our Chicagoland realtor Jan McNulty both confirmed...Realtors need to provide feedback in various forms to their clients.
Look out Western Kentucky realtors...It's time you actually begin "playing the game" the right way for your 6%!
Home sellers need feedback! Feedback tells a client that a realtor is doing their job. Knowledge is power and any smart home seller will take this information and use it! After speaking to friiends and neighbors in regards to the lack of feedback we have been able to obtain, they too wonder what happened to professionalism among peers. We have no record of how many showings, who showed it, if any were second showings, get little to no notice of showings (this is a vacation home), no stats on internet views, etc.! AND no input as what to do at this point. What is going on? Should we be looking for a new realtor? Or is this the new norm?
The only feedback worth receiving, in my view, is an offer.

I know it is stressful to have a house on the market, but as Don and Ron point out, feedback is rarely candid and honest, and for the most part, who cares what people who don't like the house think?

Back in the old days, we'd get fifty, sixty people at an open house, but we'd get two or five offers. Now, according to the Feedback Rules theory, we'd want to know why fifty people rejected the house. But we didn't care, because someone wanted to buy it.

Point being - if people don't want to buy it, it doesn't really matter why. You're not going to add a bedroom, lower the cathedral ceiling, point the kitchen toward the east, turn a Colonial into a Contemporary. And I've found that people who keep a dirty smelly house aren't going to clean it just because of "feedback."

Stay strong,
Dear Benders,
Well to tell you the truth, buyer agents are usually driving around with numerous buyers during the course of the day, and might not get back to the listing agent without a little "prompting" from them. It would be best for the listing agent to make calls at the end of the day..or next day and request any feedback from the buyer agents.
Depending on how the feedback is set up... some have an electronic system where feedback is requested from the showing agent, some the realtor will send via email/fax a feedback request, a realtor can also call the showing agent for feedback. That being said, it still does not mean that you will actually get any feedback from the showing... some realtors just refuse to take the time / courtesy to reply. And sometimes, the feedback received is so extreme (I had one feedback that stated the stairs were in the wrong place because they curved to the right ... not much the seller was willing to do... a grand staircase... is a grand staircase) that it really was not helpful. I let my sellers know upfront that they may or may not receive any feedback after a showing... but IF the buyer has an interest in the home that the realtor will request a second showing or more information ... or will bring an offer. It's frustrating .... yet it's great your home is being shown... that's wonderful...