Question Details

SoutheastAsi…, Home Owner in Buffalo Grove, IL

Why do I need an agent?

Asked by SoutheastAsian, Buffalo Grove, IL Sun Mar 31, 2013

I didn't have a good experience with agent while buying. I was looking for houses with multiple agents as usual. The agent who got lucky showed me only about 3 houses one of which I ended up purchasing. In the process I got my own lawyer and home inspector which my agent didn't like. Constantly criticized both of them and at times talking down to me as I was a first time buyer. Now it's my time to sell and I'm scared of agents. They all talk nice but once formally engaged all they possibly care about is how to get the commission fast with least amount of work. My agent at time of buying send me cards and chocolates for last 4 years but I don't plan to use them again. On the other hand I don't have enough time to do a FSBO unless someone in my social circle want to buy my house.

Answers

3
Mack McCoy’s answer
You didn't have a good experience, SA, because you didn't have a good relationship.

If you treat real estate agents like clerks, they will treat you like a commission.

Maybe you've misinterpreted your agent's actions. His criticism of your lawyer and home inspector may very well be justified if he's looking out for your best interests.

And, it does make sense that every agent wants to get a deal done for you as quickly as possible. Taking a very long time and not closing a deal doesn't do you or the agent himself any good.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
Please do not judge the barrel of apples by the one you bit into:
Just like every profession; there are a lot of good, caring, responsive people out there.

Look for the VIEW TRULIA VIPs icon;
Click on it.
Insert BUFFALO GROVE, and you will see all the Realtors who live there and work here.
You can look at PROFILES and RECOMMENDATIONS, and even e-mail them.

Good luck and may God bless
Happy Easter!