Disney Dork, Other/Just Looking in Amherst, NY

Why did the seller put the property on the market now? it's not the best time of year to sell

Asked by Disney Dork, Amherst, NY Fri Oct 22, 2010

Answers

15
It's always a good time to sell when one is ready to sell and needs to sell.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 22, 2010
Life Happens! No one can predict if they are going to lose a job, get a new job, have a baby...etc. Trying to time that and have that fall in line with the traditional spring market rush in the North East. People have to sell their homes for all types of reasons. In most cases their life circumstances dictacte the timing on the market with regards to the sale of their home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 22, 2010
Disney Dork,

You have received alot of very good answers for why the seller could have put the property on the market now.

The most logical and self explanitory one is that the seller decided that now was the time to do so. Speculation as to the seller's motivations is just that, speculation and is in reality a moot point.
In many markets, surprisingly, January and February can yield the highest sales prices of the year. I know it sees counterintuitive, however what happens is that most people looking in the Nov- Jan timeframe are very serioud buyers, adn often inventory levels are really low and there are few options. If someone is needing to buy, and a new and great listing pops up, it can get trememendous activity! Hihg demand and low inventory is an attractive combination for a seller. P

I chose to market selling my personal home during this time period in the past- and I got great activity and really great offers.

Let me know if I can further assist you in any way.

Dori Z
The investors that come to me looking to buy and hold real estate for the long-term have brought up some additional benefits not listed in the article. Think about the fact that buying real estate in today's market of low inflation will help hedge your inflation risk over the near future. As inflation goes up, the rent prices and values of the homes will go up as well. Combine that with a mortgage on a property at today's investment rates around 5%, and now you are paying off your mortgage over the next 30 years with money that is valued less because of inflation.
One reason could be that he's trying to get an edge on the market before all the Spring listings arrive and the competition will be a lot greater. Serious buyers shop throughout the year and with fewer homes to select from the seller has a better chance of selling his home.
Web Reference: http://ninaharrishomes.com
Actually, it is a good time to sell! My office just went over all the statics today and inventory is 30% down from sametime last year in our area. I'm not sure about your local area but I would get with a Real Estate Professional, find someone you can trust and ask their advice on your local market.
It's a great time before the spring rush plus since no snow easy to see.
Web Reference: http://www.amypfister.com
Homes sell all year long, especially with record low interest rates. Traditionally there are fewer homes on the market and the buyers that come out in cold weather are serious buyers. The right time to sell is when you want or need to, not when everyone else decides to sell and competes with your listing.
Actually, I find the best time to sell is now and through the holidays. Buyers who are out during the holidays are serious buyers who have to buy! Bring them on!
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
Well there are many ways to look at that statement. If you have a good product it will sell. There a many buyer's out their looking for their perfect home so that they can take advantage of these historically low interest rates. The American Dream of owning a home is alive and kicking. This is the time for serious buyer's. And a time for serious sellers. This is the best time to sell!!

Kathi Holder
Hi there, while the Spring market is traditionally considered the strongest period of any 12 month span, homes sell all year long. I suspect the seller listed their home for sale because they are ready and they want and need to get on with it.

While there are fewer buyers in the market now, those that are out are generally pretty sincere. The number of buyers will decline as we approach the holidays but their sincerity and readiness will rise.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
There is really never a bad time to list a property, in fact the Fall season is actually a great time to list. Buyers are always looking and the market here in Western New York remains very stable. There are those who actually prefer the Fall season to purchase; the kids are back in school so there is a sense of freedom, vacation time has ended for the most part and people want to settle in before the snow flies and the holidays come. On top of all of this we as realtors see people from around the world relocating to this area on a regular basis; what would we do if there weren't any homes to sell them?
Why are you looking now???
As Frank said below, we are in our fall market now in the northeast. I specialize in the Amherst, Clarence Lancaster/Cheektowaga area and we just got 3 contracts yesterday on properties. Houses sell 12 months a year.
I have just listed four homes myself. The fall market is usually good and inventories are much lower. I typically do well in the fall and winter as a listing agent. I agree that the best time is the late Spring but trust me, buyers are looking now!

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtores
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.com