Al Garcia, Home Seller in Raleigh, NC

Why are you waiting to list your home after the Holidays?

Asked by Al Garcia, Raleigh, NC Wed Dec 4, 2013

Some people think that listing your home during the Holidays is a bad time but I think it matters whether your area is having a good market or not.

Answers

10
As a Mom, I totally understand why some people would rather wait. It's during the Holidays we start getting stretched out. There is several Christmas parties to attend, shopping for everyone, and there is lots of church activities to go to during this time. Adding to the mix having your home staged at all times and then needing to leave during a showing can add a lot of stress or having your home staged and letting your agent do Open houses, then no one shows up can add a lot of stress. I totally understand if someone does not want to deal with that during the holidays. The housing market will still be in full swing after the New year. Its a good time to get with your agent though. So your agent can do all the paperwork and let you know what needs to be done to your home so it will move quickly. That way when your ready to have it on the market, your agent will have everything ready also.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 5, 2013
Typically, the holidays bring out serious buyers. You may not have the high volume traffic for showings during the holidays, but if you have a showing, it is for a serious buyer. If they aren't serious at this time of year, they won't be out looking at homes. There are too many other things to do this time of year!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 5, 2013
Since the Raleigh area has a lot of families relocating here because of the Research Triangle Park, Universities and Medical facitlies, we continue to see many people moving at this time of the year. The current inventory of homes for sale in the price range of your home is the other factor to consider. An agent not only can do a market analysis for you but also an absorption study to see how long it will take to sell your home.

Jerry
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 5, 2013
Great info, this would make a great blog post also.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 5, 2013
I ask sellers that same questions and have concluded if one needs to sell, then now is the best time with little competition and many buyers looking and waiting for new listings to hit the market.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 5, 2013
Some people that enjoy the luxury of having options, just don't want to be bothered by these distractions in conjunction with the holidays and usually feel that others feel the same way!

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 5, 2013
Putting your house on the market gives it that more od a homey feel. I know thay in this area if you wait until after the holidays then you will most likely will be missing the opportunity of having your home on the market during the winter break period where there is a slight influx of movement into the Forr Bragg area!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 5, 2013
I have always had more luck around the holidays with the homes all dressed up and it seemed to be a more serious buyer during the winter months.... Happy Holidays!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 5, 2013
I remember when I was selling homes in Chicago/Indiana and no one wanted to go out in sub zero weather but living in the Raleigh Triangle, I believe it is much different. Especially since our market is pretty strong. Thanks for all of your great suggestions and ideas! I am working on a couple listings this month. Happy Holidays!
I agree, supply and demand are a big factor. Our area is low on inventory so right now is as good a time as any. There are always serious buyers in the market and people never stop looking online.

Chris
You are right about the supply and demand. In our market the supply is higher then the demand. So it is always wise to see your local agent that knows the market and can give you the best advise.
Flag Thu Dec 5, 2013