Home Selling in Delran>Question Details

Barbaradunphy, Home Buyer in Delran, NJ

Why are taxes so high in delran? My property is twnhse, no yard, no parking end unit I own outright. 8k yr for what?

Asked by Barbaradunphy, Delran, NJ Tue Aug 28, 2012

Answers

4
The main part of your property taxes goes towards the school district. It's not the municipal services that take up the majority of the budget. Look at the school population in correlation to your local property tax, that might give you more answers.

Matthew Bostock
Century 21 Alliance: Cherry Hill
856-296-3870
Does Delran really need more athletic fields??? PLEASE!!!!! I am all for making sure our police & fire people are covered. They deserve all they get, plus..... Can't wait to see Delran in my rear view mirror
Barbara,
Property taxes make up the majority of revenue the towns take in to pay for all of their costs. The town takes all of their costs for the year, and develops a budget that divides up all of the income producing methods at their disposal. Things like fees and licenses, building permits, selling bonds, taxes on everything possible, state subsidy, federal subsidy, even traffic tickets and court costs are all part of the revenue generating systems. The biggest (usually) method of revenue generating is property taxes. The town comes up with a number they want and then takes every square foot of taxable real estate in the town and calculates how much tax per square foot per zoning area they will charge, in order to raise the money to pay for their budgets.

Bottom line, if you want lower taxes in the long run, the towns' voters need to be more active in preventing excessive town budgets, just like in the state and federal systems. Otherwise, a few elected and appointed folks in your town, determine how much you pay.
Hi Barbara, welcome to NJ! Seriously however, I was born and raised near Delran and now live in Camden County. Our property taxes have steadily increased in many South Jersey communities. It is a product of how the state, counties and townships fund their schools, etc.

While I have some clients opting for Pennsylvania, some are still choosing to buy in NJ. There ARE communities in the area with lower taxes...

Best of luck to you,

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
856.617.1212
axelson@kurfiss.com
Web Reference: http://kurfiss.com