Home Selling in Houston>Question Details

Trulia Houst…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

Which changes make the biggest positive differences to curb appeal?

Asked by Trulia Houston, Houston, TX Thu Feb 21, 2013

Answers

7
Myra Ephross, Agent, Houston, TX

Great Landscaping can make the most ordinary architecture eye catching. Add a fresh coat of paint or replace a standard front door with something a bit more special. If your light fixures are old or rusted, new fixtures can make a big difference. And your home must be in perfect condition. Power wash the sidewalk and driveway. If there is mildew on the home clean it! If the paint is in poor condition, get a good professional looking paint job on the house. All of these elements are important for great curb appeal. Of these... Landscaping and giving the exterior of your home a good cleaning are the best place to start. If there are any obvious repairs that need to be made, make them before you put your home on the market.
.
Good luck with your home improvements!

Myra Ephross ABR,ASR,CNE,ALHS,CHMS,CLHS
Prudential Anderson Properties
Prudential Fine Homes International*
281 650-9779 c

* Fewer than 78% of the over 65,000 Prudential Agents worldwide hold this designation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
The landscaping can make a huge difference. Most have plants and bushes that are overgrown and need to be trimmed back. Adding a few bags of mulch and some flowers also help. If you know you will be putting the home on the market 2-3 months from now, start fertilizing the grass and water to get it nice and thick. Finally power wash the home, porch, sidewalk and driveway. Add a potted plant and clean up the home's address number sign and your ready to go. Much of this can be done for little or know money.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
If I were going to sum it up in one word I would say...."PRISTINE"!! I am obsessive about getting my Sellers to get the front of the home looking absolutely perfect. When it comes to selling their home the old saying never rings more true..."You Never Get a Second Chance To Make a First Impression" .

I have my own construction company so I automatically send my landscape crew over to do their magic. Often times my clients come home and they truly do not recognize their home! I have had several neighbors come up to me and comment about how fabulous their neighbors home looks when we get through.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
Wash your outside of your home with soap and water, fresh mulch, flowers and refinish the front door WIN!
Web Reference: http://www.DaveRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
Without sounding too glib, I would say drive around your neighborhood, and see what homes jump out at you. Likely, the homes you'll feel good about have manicured lawns, colorful landscaping, crisp paint, and clean patios or walk ways.

Here's 5 quick tips on curb appeal if you're trying to sell your home:

1. Have the lawn mowed, enhance plant beds with new mulch & colorful flowers, rake the lawn if necessary
2. Move your trash cans out of site.
3. Refresh the paint on the exterior of your home or if that's to expensive sometime a good power wash will do.
4. Make your front door look like new by either re-painting, powerwashing, or refinishing
5.Clear your doorway of cobwebs, dead bugs, and wasp nests
Web Reference: http://www.segalre.com
All the previous answers give good advice. I would add that you should make any flower beds dense with color. Often I will see a few flowering plants in the flower beds, when a home seller could have much more impact and curb appeal by densely planting colorful plants. I have a recent blog post on how Yard Appeal infuences Houston home buyers at http://houstonprimerealty.com/blog/yard-appeal-influences-ho…
Green grass, new paint and new garage door!

Travis Jackson
Century 21 M & M Associates
DRE#01879566
tjackson@c21mm.com
www408RealEstate.com