Home Selling in Hillsborough>Question Details

Eric, Home Owner in Hillsborough, NJ

Which Realty Agency is selling the most homes in Hillsborough?

Asked by Eric, Hillsborough, NJ Tue Jul 3, 2012

Any data available by number of closed sales by month by listing agency? Thanks!

Answers

5
Jeanne and Mary Petti offer good advice.

Here is mine.

It is not the company, but the agent you hire that has the greatest impact on getting a home sold quickly and for the highest dollar amount. There are good agents and not so good agents at every company. A good agent will get the job done no matter what company they work for. When comparing agents what you really want to do is compare their marketing (what they do, not who they are, or what their company is). Google them. Today Internet marketing is the key. How pervasive is their presence on the Internet.

Go on Trulia and Zillow and see how they market their listings especially the quality and number of photos on those listings. Then find those same listings on the MLS and Realtor.com. Do they post the maximum number of photos in the MLS. 21 or more photos generate 4 times as many leads as 6-10. Statistically homes with professional grade photography sell for more than those without it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 5, 2012
Eheil42,

The question is not which AGENCY has the most listings, but which AGENT gets their listings sold.

Just taking a listing doesn't get a home sold. Just because the AGENCY has a lot of listings doesn't get them sold either. It's individual agents who do their job well that get listings sold.

Having a lot of listings may look impressive on paper, however, how many of the listings actually sold, how long were they on the market, at what list to sales price ratio did they sell, how many price reductions did they have, are all more valid questions to ask any Realtor you interview.

I agree with Jeanne, agents with a lot of listings don't always have the time to spend on the details in a transaction. Often times the "heavy hitter listing agents" have assistants who do most of the work for them. You didn't hire their assistants, your supposedly hired the AGENT.

There are many agents I know who show an impressive portfolio of listings TAKEN, but I know for a fact that a good porportion of those NEVER sold, or were on the market a very long time. They were definitely the "gorilla" in the room, and often times will be the agent who lists at the highest price just to get the listing (even though you may have interviewed other agents who are in the same, lower ballpark for list price).

Interviewing a few Realtors and asking the questions above, in addition to learning about their marketing plan, the resources their company offers them to help market your home, the amount of internet exposure you will receive, are all better parameters than "who has the most listings" or "sells" the most houses. etc
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 4, 2012
That info would be easy to track using a broker metrics tool. We generally look at our results at the county level, but drilling down to the township is certainly doable. If you have a home to sell in Hillsborough and this metric is an important criteria to you, then incorporate it into the requests you make of the agents/brokers you interview for the job. Watch for apples to apples comparison - some brokerages are independently owned and so their stats include one or two offices, while the larger brokers tend to pull in all offices. Both approaches could be argued to be "right" as they present info at the "broker" level. But it sounds to me as though you are trying to get at info at a hyper local level, so just be informed as you interpret what you are told.

And then, add this to your thoughts - the agent that has the most listings may not be the one to get the job done. I once found myself in a head to head competition with the gorilla in the room in my community and my winning approach was that I offered both the "commitment AND the capacity" to get the job done.

You want to be sure that whomever you hire, will actually deliver on the promises made. There is only so much work a single person can pull off and do well.

Good luck to you!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 4, 2012
I agree with Lyle. The company name doesn't matter. It is the AGENT that matters.
Why would that number matter to you?
You want to hire and work with the agent who you trust, who is open and honest with you about the
value of your home in today's market and who is well informed about your market area. You want an
agent who communicates well with you, has wonderful customer services, i.e. keeps you informed about showings, feedback, and changes in your market area, if new homes get on the market competing with yours, or which ones sold and what you can deduct from it....

In other words an agent who is as interested in selling your home as you are and stays in constant
contact with you....

And by the way if the agent does good research, prepares a very detailed market evaluation for your home, and prices your home right, he or she will get it sold, they cannot do magic, but if the home with their advice is well prepared, repaired, staged, whatever it needs and then priced right it should sell within a reasonable time in your market area....

Therefore find the right agent for you, for your home and for your communication needs...

And read the comments of other agents below, I do not want to repeat but agree with them.
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)