Home Selling in Norwell>Question Details

Heidi, Home Seller in Norwell, MA

Where is the best place to advertise a home for sale?

Asked by Heidi, Norwell, MA Tue Jul 29, 2008

Aside from MLS where should I advertise my house for sale? Newspaper? Online sites?

Answers

13
Heidi
The question I would pose is this:
Do you want to advertise your home, or sell it?
There are many places to advertise your home As a owner selling without professional representation, forsaleowner.com, owners.com, fizber.com are all great places. You can also find a flat fee MLS entry only broker that will list your home in the MLS. You pay the buyer's agent their percentage, then you save a couple of percentage points WHEN and IF you sell.

You should be aware of a few facts that might help you shape your plans:
1. Buyers use a Realtor 90% of the time. Why? Because the buyer does not pay anything. They get an expert negotiator, someone who knows the neighborhood, for free. And what is a buyer's most precious commodity? Time.

2. Owners selling without professional representation sell to someone they know 5% of the time, someone they don't know 5% of the time, and list with a Realtor 86% of the time. Not surprising, when only dealing with 10% of the market homes sold by owners without professional representation sell on average for 15% less than those sold by Realtors.

Think about it. If a buyer can get a Realtor to do all the work for free, why would a buyer not use a Realtor? Answer - because they think they can get a better deal than a Realtor can. So is it any wonder that homes sold by owners without professional representation sell for less on average?

So, what is your best move? MLS entry only broker? Could be, but I did a survey of limited service and MLS Entry only Brokers in my MLS
1. The fail to sell 33% more often
2. They sell, on average, for about 2.2% less the Full Service
3. They take longer to sell.

So, it would not surprise you to know that a REaltor that knows their job can help you net more at closing. I suggest that you interview three Realtors. Ask them for an Estimate of Seller's Net Proceeds.
Then you run the numbers and make the call.

You may be able to sell on your own. GREAT
If not, you have a plan B.
@Keith Sorem, interesting stats on entry only MLS listings versus full commission listings, it's inevitably a market by market discussion. Glendale entry only MLS listings may perform poorly, however, Massachusetts entry only MLS listings are performing quite well, selling a lot faster than full commission listings and at a higher price per square foot - a recent example of what's happening in Roslindale (a Boston neighborhood) is noted at http://entryonlynewengland.com/roslindale-boston-flat-fee-mls-fsbo/.
Flag Tue Nov 26, 2013
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
@Heidi We're now in an age of what I would call the "Internet Enabled MLS". The Multiple Listing Service (MLS) is the source, all property listed in the MLS is then syndicated across the web to literally thousands of websites, large and small.

Do you select a flat fee MLS entry only listing service and save on Realtor fees, or, do you list with a traditional real estate brokerage approach, there are times and places for each. One thing remains true regardless of which route you take, that is, the MLS needs to be your starting point.

Dean Charles
http://entryonlynewengland.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 23, 2013
Honestly in my opinion the best place to post a home listing is on ZidoZone.com
Users can also see all your other listings by clicking on your profile this way it increases the exposure to yourself and to your homes. Unlike craigslist with ZidoZone I believe you are providing a wider selection.
Web Reference: http://www.ZidoZone.com
First, it should be professionally priced and then it should be advertised on all of the most popular web sites such as Trulia, Zillow, etc... Your local real estate office will post it to MLS and depending on partnering agreements, your ad will then propagate to most of the other on-line search sites. This keeps you from wasting time researching all of the other web sites and manually entering your ad with them. Why reinvent the real estate wheel.
cheers
Ralph.
No questions online. It is where the majority of modern day home buyers start their search. Also in the sunday section for open houses. Make a website for your home and do a bunch of seo so it shows up when buyers are searching certain key words.
Web Reference: http://territory.com
Heidi:

The most important component to advertising a home for sale is the offering price! If you are not within the market suggested price range it does not matter what you do it will not sell. If you are within the market suggested price range then the next most important component is your professional photography. Everything starts with the photography. Best
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 10, 2011
I agree if you are not going to use a REALTOR, wasting your time on print is probably the worst way to go about letting people know your house is for sale. This is the age of technology and papers are going out of style. People rarely read the paper anymore. Your best bet is to use a site like this or FSBO (for sale by owner). I would also recomment Craigslist. However I do have to tell you that your best option is to use a REALTOR. A REALTOR can give you exposure to all of these sites and so much more, however at this point I am sure that you are already aware of this. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to contact me.
Other than the MLS, which gets your property on Realtor.com, this site and Zillow will be your best bets. I wouldn't waste money on print unless you have a specialty property such as a luxury, waterfront or antique home.
Yea those are fine but a lot of people these days are using classified ads websites a lot more because they are just easier to use. Check out ZidoZone.com you might like it.
Flag Tue Jan 22, 2013
Hi Heidi,

Seriously consider Keith's comments. I know it sounds self serving coming from a real estate agent, but those are the facts.

If you are determined to go unrepresented, don't waste your money on print advertising. If you have a fair amount of traffic past your property, get a property specific website and advertise the domain on your For Sale sign. (A professional sign please- no home made signs!) There are a number of sites who host single property websites for short money. Visit http://www.32TroutFarm.com to see one of my property sites. Take good pictures or hire someone to take them for you.

Craigslist is good for traffic, and you can drive people to your property specific site from there also.

Most important - Never show your home by yourself! Make sure you have someone there with you.

Craigslist is great. You can also try posting responses on real estate blogs. I would also consider making a simple website for your property (with pictures, brief description and your property info) and then doing some seo so when people search google for places in your area the website comes up top of the list.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
whats an seo that is referred to in your post , so when people search the site comes to the top??
Flag Thu Dec 27, 2012
GREAT QUESTION: General public views so many sources of the media, any place you can place an ad to your advantage. If you are using the web keywords will be critical. You need to check with you listing agent determine your not in violation of the listing agreement.

Your listing agent can post your property here on Trulia.
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Hi Heidi- I assume by this question you are not hiring a real estate broker to market and advertise your home for you (?).
If that's the case, Yes- getting the listing on MLS is a key. Other than that, I have sold 2 of my own homes without help of a broker, and I can say the following-
Newspapers are very much hit and miss, and are pretty expensive to advertise in.
I sold my condo via a newspaper ad, and no RE agent was involved on either side. (This is a rarity.)
Craiglist doesn't hurt and its free. You might get lucky.
Get a decent yard sign, if possible. Those $2 hardware store yard signs aren't going to do your home or listing justice. (and are hard to read/ small)
You might consider ISoldMyHouse.com also. That does cost some $$- not sure what. I think it's close to $500 or more to list there. Used to be about $100 -4-5 years ago.

If I can be of service, please let me know. Thanks,
Ken L.