G.J. Gardner…,  in Loveland, CO

When you hear about building a custom home what price range comes to mind? How long would you imagine it would take?

Asked by G.J. Gardner Homes, Loveland, CO Wed Nov 10, 2010

Answers

7
As far as your question on how long it would take - I have been pleasantly surprised by talking to a few builders - GJGardner being one of them - that some homes can be completed in 4 months!

That seems extremely reasonable and a wonderful solution to the tight inventory we are now facing.
Nice homes you have built out there in Frederick, GJ. I toured a few about four years ago.

Typically, we're talking about more expensive homes.

I think a buyer can spend $300,000 to much higher. Lots were going for as much as $55,000 out your way in 2008. My husband worked for a semi-custom builder who could build a dirt start home for $260,000. On the west side of Interstate 25, the market has a lot of range. There are million-dollar, lake-front homes that are custom. There are older properties that are less expensive.

If it is a custom home, I expect it will take much longer than something offered by DR Horton or Lennar. They probably complete a project in that five month time frame.

Suz
500 k and up , 5 months to 7 months. 15 years as a builder and developer of custom homes and specialty commercial construction. 3000 to 5000 sq ft. Over that you need more details to give a better answer.
Web Reference: http://www.mikekrieg.com
For a custom home in this area and economy, I am seeing mostly semi-custom in the under 400's. But typically for an actual custom home - that have not been showing up much - I think of them as starting in the 500's - including the lot price and up. It has been interesting to see more houses in that price range moving all of a sudden. And even some in the 700+ categories. The consumer confidence has really picked up in the past couple months and I expect to see more custom homes selling. And typically, my expectation for when a custom home would be completed would be from 6-12 months time.
I see that you are an agent with a builder and I'm not sure if that means you are an in-house agent for your contractor or not. I will assume that the lot is already owned free and clear and that it exist in a quality subdivision with other custom homes already built with a history of current sales. The economy is still questionable, and lenders have their caution gloves on as far as new construction for a custom spec home and are not willing to take chances in the past few years on lending to builders. Only a current market analysis of the current sold homes in the location with which you want to build can answer your question honestly. As far as the time to take to build, that too is a question to direct to the contractor, based on the size of home, availability of products chosen to build and furnish the home with can predict the length of time it will take to build. It is difficult to answer your question without much more information provided.
Interesting questions as it is really about each persons perception. I would consider a "custom" home would have a unique lot/surrounding and would probably be over a 1 million. These custom homes tend to be oversized and I would love to see smaller "custom" homes that have a smaller price tag and would probably sell quicker. I have "custom home" on my website listed below.

Rebecca Hite
Huntington Properties, llc
303-929-3555
http://www.rebeccahite.com
My mind goes right to around 750,000 with a 9 month time frame