Home Selling in Tampa>Question Details

Tracy Hoyt, Real Estate Pro in Valrico, FL

When working with a new listing, do you explain the importance of being able to show the home?

Asked by Tracy Hoyt, Valrico, FL Tue Mar 5, 2013

This week alone I got -- don't feel like showing it today or tomorrow, Only on Wed from 11-2. Only on Sunday from 1-6. Only after 3 on the weekdays. Setting appts has been very hard lately and it makes me wonder if the Agents are being forceful enough or the sellers are just not understanding how to sell their house. Do you work around these specific times or do you just not show the home?

Antonio Vega-Pacheco’s answer
Constantly. They would not accomodate for my buyer to see home after 6pm..."you must come from 1 to 3 pm or saturday 11 to 5". So we showed up Saturday at 11:15 and they were getting in the car to leave for the day...almost upset we showed up and took 5 minutes to look around.

There are sellers that don't need to sell, or can take their time to do so. They don't care about buyers or agents time and expenses.

Did you see last week a seller posted in this forum looking for an agent willing to list their home for 1.5% listing side and expecting to get openhouses till it sold? Some people have no respect for our industry. (And then again, there are some agents that give us a bad reputation.)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 5, 2013
I think sellers are feeling bombarded - especially in the popular price points and it is causing this type of backlash. Its unfortunate - but hey the harder it is to show the better chance your buyers have of getting the property if they are flexible. So I now have a conversation with my buyers about being available when the properties are or having to lose out on great houses.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 5, 2013
Its hard when someone still lives in their home when trying to sell. I always have conversations with my sellers that we understand there are times that just aren't good for them. But that at the same time, if we don't have anyone able to see their home, I can't help them sell it.

You may need to set up some open house times and try to get other agents to send their clients through the house at those times if the sellers are harder to schedule around their times.
Hello Tracy

We all know that we are in a seller's market right now. As previous agents mentioned, properties are being sold shortly after they are listed or at least get offers. It certainly is important to let the seller know that their availability and flexibility when it comes to showing the house will increase the chance of them getting a higher offer on the property. It's a good idea to talk about showing times with your seller at the beginning and this way you'll both have a good understanding about when the property can be shown.

Majid (Jay) Mirzai
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
You definitely have to explain to them that in this market getting as many people through the place as quick as possible is paramount. With the demand so high...a few days of being flexible with the showings will almost certainly mean multiple offers...and probably some asking price or higher...and even cash. I had a listing in the office go on the market on Friday at 1230pm and had two cash offers by 630pm...the kicker is the place has an executed lease through mid 2013.

Of course I guess this type of an explanation could make the seller think they don't have to worry about getting every showing through? Anyone have any thoughts?
Had to jump in again... on a recent showing request for a non-short sale, owner-occupied property I suspect the listing Realtor may have been the one who made the restrictive showing times so she or one of her associates could get the property for one of their buyers without competing offers. I'm sure many Seller are not aware of these tactics used by self-serving Realtors. With a severe shortage of properties, unscrupulous Realtors can get away with this type of behavior--even from well known brokerages.

I have to admit I have a short sale that the Seller didn't want to be bothered with showings and I told him it was no problem because in fact we received multiple all cash offers "above" what it could possibly appraise for within hours of listing. No nonsense, all cash offers from sophisticated investors that realize it's a free option to buy (no earnest deposit required) so zero risk. It's funny because I received calls from other Realtors that couldn't convince their cash buyer to make a risk free offer sight unseen.

It's a crazy Seller's market right now for townhouses and single family homes. I'm considering switching my focus from working primarily with buyers to working with Sellers only and referring out all non-cash buyers!
Sometimes sellers make it hard for realtors and fail to understand that they are the ones who agreed to sell. Most sellers are motiviated enough to set up schedules. If it is a renter, the problem is worse. Prior to listing, I discussed showings and make showing arrangement on the spot, then the showing instruction is viewed on the listing.
If it's a short sale listing then Sellers have 100% control over which "nice" buyer will get an "chance" at getting a bargain. So, if we're talking about a short sale then a buyer really should take the risk of buying "sight unseen" as long as they don't have to put up any escrow and they have 7 days to inspect "after approval". It's basically a "free" option to buy.

Our Showing Desk that is linked directly to our MLS works really well and you can actually put these prohibitively restrictive showing times if you pay the minimal (as low as $29) fee to ShowingDesk. It will even send a text to your Seller and they can instantly reply with Y or N to accept or decline showings. They can even call your client if they prefer not to be texted. It's great because you don't have to even respond to showing requests or miss showing appointment requests. It also keeps track of all showings and requests feedback via email, too. It's very simple for agents to schedule, too, just a quick click on the MLS Showing Button and they can select their appointment time and then it automatically notifies the owner via text, email and/or phone call.

So if we're talking about a regular sale... then yes the Seller should allow showings with 24 hours notice if they actually want to sell their home for top dollar in the shortest amount of time.

Yes, and It's frustrating when trying to make showing appointments only to be told by the Seller's agent that it can only be shown from 8:30 to 10 on a Wednesday when most buyers are working. Then it goes under contract and your client misses out! It's not working in the Seller's best interests because they are missing offers and will sell for less.

Alma Rose Kee, PA
Future Home Realty
Definitely, no buyer or renter that I have worked with has purchased/leased any property without walking into it. Many times pictures don't show the true condition of a property plus it doesn't matter how many pictures or fancy videos, the listing agent takes, it will never show the true sense of the property. Probably an investor will purchase a property without walking into it, otherwise, I doubt that anybody will put so much money/time on purchasing something without looking it.
Tracy, that is a very good question you ask. In my opinion, I believe it is the predominant goal of every Realtor who lists a home for sale to actually get the home "sold" so they can be compensated, since most real estate agents are only paid once a property is sold and closed. That being said, it only follows that most real estate agents educate homeowners on the importance of making their home showing schedule as flexible as possible. I do not think the problem lies with a lack of education to the homeowner on the part of the real estate professional. More likely the issue lies with the homeowner who may not fully understand how significantly an inflexible showing schedule will impact the ability to sell their home. This issue will usually correct itself when the home has not sold.

To more directly answer your question "Do you work around these specific times or do you just not show the home?", I will certainly make my buyer customer aware of that the home is available since I want to be sure that the buyer is fully aware of all listings on the market that meet their criteria, and I will leave it up to the buyer to determine if they still want to preview the home. From my experience, unless the home is a rare gem, there are too many other homes available for the buyer to choose from and they usually do before they end up going back through a list of homes with inflexible showing times.

Fred Strickroot