Home Selling in Houston>Question Details

Trulia Houst…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

When staging a walk-in closet, is it better to neatly arrange the clothes, or remove them completely?

Asked by Trulia Houston, Houston, TX Thu Feb 21, 2013

Answers

11
Since a closet is a place where you will find clothes I would think the natural thing to do would be to arrange the closet neatly. However excess items should be removed.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
It depends if you are staging while the owners are still living there or if the house is vacant. If the home is vacant, you can leave the closet empty. If the home is occupied, remove all clutter and some of the clothes and arrange neatly. Use your best judgement as to how others are doing it in the area. Or contact a local company that does staging.
I think in the case of a Walk in closet, less is more. Remove as much as possible and organize what remains as neatly as possible.
Hangers spaced one inch apart, hooks facing forward organized by category and color.

Then wager how many showings must occur before someone swaps a pink with a white.
Buyers expect an occupied home to have furnishings and appear lived in. Thus, having an empty closet may send a message to potential buyers that is not an accurate one. My recommendation is to minimize and organize the closet for maximum benefit.

Just keeping it real!

When staging a walk in closet, you are best off neatly arranging the clothes. You want to give the potential buyer a visual image of what the closet would look like once they have moved into the home.
I think showing a closet with clothes in it is the best but neatly arranged and not alot of extra items. People like to see the closet will work to help them get an idea of how it will work for their things..

Beth Seifart
Keller Williams Realty - Leesburg, VA
Myra Ephross, Agent, Houston, TX

When I stage, I empty the closet if possible. I thenwill use some nice wooden hangers and I may put a few cloting items on them (ex. a Terry Robe) some shirts, slacks etc). I collect shopping bags from high end stores, fill them neatly with tissue and place them on some of the shelves, It looks like someone just came back from a shopping spree and they are making a new start! Subliminal :). If the paint is dirty or needs some touch up do it!
If clients still live in the homes,you may not have a choice, so I ask them to pack up and remove everything they will keep but will not need until the seasons change. I then, make sure all hangers match, and have the clothing arranged according to type and color. (yes, this takes the willingness of the seller to cooperate). MY favorite phrase is... "There is the house you live in and there is the house you sell! " This makes the closets look attractive and spacious.

Myra Ephross ABR,ASR,CNE,ALHS,CLHS,CHMS
Prudential Anderson Properties
281 650-9779
I like that, Myra, "There is the house you live in and there is the house you sell". That would make the sellers "get it". Short and to the point and in the gut. Thanks!!@
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013
When it's a walk- in closet, I would say less is best. However If your keeping all you things in it, it needs to be neat, and organized. Buyers usually won't go into the closet but if that's a selling point definitely remove the clutter.
It's almost like the garage. Clear the garage :-)
This is too petty to address. If the dining room is large enough, the walk-in closet can have a live monster with ten arms eight feet long and poisonous fangs in it.
I think answers are going to vary, based on the fact that it becomes a subjective preference. Some folks find it really awesome when they see a closet that is meticulously arranged with NO clutter. If you are trying to show the vastness of the size, you could leave it empty. In either case, I think if you are strategically staging the entire house, but decide to leave the closet empty, it might look a bit odd.

Just my thoughts............

Persis
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com