Home Selling in Lawrence>Question Details

Jennifer Bow…, Both Buyer and Seller in Lawrence, KS

When should we get an agent?

Asked by Jennifer Bowen, Lawrence, KS Thu Jan 10, 2013

In 2011, we had our house on the market from about March to October with no luck. We had to relocate out of state, so we decided to rent it out rather than let it sit empty. Our renters will be moving out at the end of May, so we are planning on getting the house ready to relist immediately after that (hopefully ready to go back on the market by the end of June). When should we find a listing agent? What sort of things should we look for in an agent?

Answers

12
opondomusa’s answer
Odds are home selling has changed considerably since the last time you went through it.Your new Realtor has got to use every tool possible – from Facebook, to YouTube, to detailed pictures, to virtual tours, to free listing websites. If your Realtor didn't do all of these things, promise yourself that you’re going to find one who will!
Hi, Jennifer,
If you haven't selected an agent yet, you should. Spring will be here before you know it and people are already shopping online for spring/summer turnover. I have a list of questions to ask agents in your interview and suggestions on ways to get the most value from your agent.
- Sean Williams, Trulia Pro
785-843-4567
Jennifer,

My suggestion would be to interview serveral agents. You need to find a agent that you feel 100% comfortable with and that you trust. Make sure you choose an agent that uses ever avenue they have as far as marketing. I would ask for some copies of current and past listing sheets from listings they have or have had. They will tell a pretty clear story of how much that agent cares about presentation. Photos, videos and remarks are HUGE for buyers!
Jennifer,

The real question is what should your next agent do differently from your last agent. What kept your home from selling the last go round? You will want to begin a dialogue with agents to learn what their marketing plan is for your house.

Interview at least three agents personally. Almost all agents will put your house on the MLS but how they market it after that is key. Will they stick a sign in the yard, put in on the mls and pray for buyers, or do they have a plan that goes beyond that? However, no amount of marketing will sell a house that is over priced. Pricing it properly will be the kingpin in selling your home.

Talk to agents about a month before you are ready to put it on the market so you will have ample time to make any repairs, clean up, or touch-ups to make your house show ready.
Hello Jennifer,
Please contact me with your property' zip code, and I'll put you in touch with 3 TOP local pros (Real Estate IS local...)

With enthusiasm,
Meir Aloni & Team
CRS (Certified Residential Specialist)
CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)
RECS (Real Estate Cyberspace Society)
Successfully selling Broward County since 1986!
Direct phone# 954-338-5220 http://www.WeSellBroward.com
All Star Realty Inc.
I would say be ready with an agent a month before the renters will move out and see if they will allow her to at least view the house so she or he knows what the house has to offer.
You need to ask a listing agent about their success in closing sales in the area of your home, about their marketing program, and check them out yourself on line - website etc.
Hi Jennifer. I would suggest moving ahead with finding an agent to represent you right now. Although the home will not be listed until after May, the agent will more than likely talk with other agents, clients, friends and family members about your property. This is better known in the industry as a pocket listing. It is never too soon to start the process. Good luck to you!
Jennifer,
It is never too early to begin a conversation with a Realtor. As full-time professionals, we are here to listen to your needs and to attend to details. By starting now and working towards an eventual listing date, you can be assured that no small---or large---detail is overlooked. A better question might be, "How do I know which agent is right for me?" Simply put, choose a Realtor whose personality works well with yours and I am sure you will have a positive sales experience.

In closing, best regards to getting your home listed and SOLD in a timely fashion.

Stan Trekell, GRI
Lawrence Kansas
Hi Jennifer,

You might consider having an agent take a look at the property at the start of May or sooner - this way you can get a feeling for where the home stands against its competition and begin taking steps to improve your chances of selling.

If it were me, I'd want a listing agent that communicated promptly and accurately; understood market values in your area; took pride in their photo/video & other marketing materials; and listened well to understand my unique situation. I might interview a handful of agents to find one that fit with my personality, appreciated my goals, and could hopefully save me time & money.

If you have a deadline after which carrying the property while out of state becomes a huge burden, it won't hurt to begin poking around and asking friends for agent referrals right away.

Nate Paradis
I would probably say as soon as the renters move out - or before if you don't think the cleaning up and renovation won't take too long. That way your agent can pre-fill out paperwork and you can get to know each other and the agent will get to know the property and maybe have some buyers lined up to show as soon as you do get it on the market.
NOW! There is a lot to learn about listing and you don't want to forget about property management. I both list and do property management and can show you the advantages of both. You should go on Zillow and Trulia type websites and look for REALTORS who have good references and who answer their phone and who list on all three local MLS's and who put your house on a separate website and who flood the market to over 10,000 websites and who do a narrated video and .....

I'm sure after researching references you will know who to list with.
I would recommend that you get an agent when you start the work to get it ready to go back on the market. Your agent can help recommend the updates that will get you the best return on investment.