Home Selling in Newark>Question Details

David Maxwell, Other/Just Looking in

When selling a home, does the listing agent schedule showings or do brokers schedule directly with homeowner?

Asked by David Maxwell, Tue Feb 19, 2008

David, I really don't have much to add to the other professionals that asnwer before me. Just remember that YOU are the one to make the decision if and when it's time to make a move. Good Luck!
In our market unless requested by the seller (and you can do that !) the showings are scheduled by the selling broker with the seller directly. You can specify times/dates when you want/don’t want your home to be shown. In reality it is hard for a listing agent to accompany all potential buyers especially if they are working with an agent.
Good luck! I hope your home sells fast.
Remax Eastside Brokers
Bellevue WA
206 412 7792
Web Reference: http://www.verabrodsky.com
It all depeneds on what the Client wants, in high traffice areas its tough to have the listing agent there at every appointmnet
It depends on the seller's situation and your local market, too. Most of my sellers request I escort through the homes, but I sell in a very high end area where homes are valued in the millions of dollars. I also have many divorcing clients who have reason to suspect any one coming through their homes. Finally, there is a privacy issue, where sellers do not want to speak with a lot of agents. They have the appointments set through me and I call the homeowner to set up an appointment.
Accessability is important, so is taking care of your clients needs.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Dear David,
The showings are basically determined between you and your listing agent based our your particular living situation. You may have pets, a new baby, small children or perhaps an elderly person or someone that is not well that resides with you. That could dictate an appointment to show, phone call or your agent to accompany or be there for the showing. A lockbox with a required phone call to your agent is not a bad idea if you can accomodate that scenerio. The easier you can make the property available to a buyer the better the chance you have to get your home sold. This is a market that has quiet a lot of inventory so pricing, availablity and condition also make a great big difference. Keeping the home as easy to see as possible is a good step in the right direction to a sale. Best of Luck!
It all depends on what show instructions you set up with your agent. As stated below, the easier you make it...the more showings it should get. Typically and if agreed with the homeowner, I just have a courtesy call to either myself and/or the homeowner and then lockbox. Under extraordinary circumstances I have limited showings (i.e., new baby) but other than that it's best to easily accessible or as stated below agents may and will avoid showing it, especially if listing agent must accompany.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
PNJP - Caldwell
973-228-1000 ext 132
Other Realtors calling in on the property to set an appointment usually are greeted by other Realtors on phone time and will set appointments. Some agents directly put their cell phone number on to set appointments. So it can go either way. If a lising agent has a direct cotact number to themselves probably the seller asked for them to specifically field all calls. Either can happen it it what your Realtor agreed to with y ou at your listing appointment! I agree with Marc's answer too. Make it easy to get in...no specifics...get the most traffic you can!! That is the point, right?
You question comes under the topic of "Accessibility".
The more accessible a listing is, the more Realtors and buyers can see it.
Here's an example. There is a listing that my clients wanted to see.
No lockbox, no showings Saturdays or Sundays, no showings on Weekends, appointment to show only through agent. How accessible is that listing?

Another example is a listing that is vacant. The showing instructions says "Lock box front door. (acutally it says LBFD). Go Direct" Now, that's easy.

So most listings with owners occupying the home have arrangements in the middle.
Some will say :Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm call first, then go direct. Sat. & Sun. 10am CFLB (Call First Lock Box" Go Direct".
Some will say "Agent accompanies. Call with at least two hour notice. Babies sleeping."
Another one "Dogs on the property. Call first, if no answer, go direct, do not go into back yard."

After reading all these you can see that if a Realtor is setting up showings for a client, the listings that are easiest to show will probably be shown more often. In some cases if the owners are out during the day, the instructions can be to call the broker's office, and they arrange, corrdinate all showings. In other cases the instructions call be to call the owner on their cell, just so the owner knows that someone is coming.

This also means that while yoru home is "on the market" that it is in "showing condition" each morning as you head off to work.

I hope this helps.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
The majority of the time you will be contacted by other brokers vs. your listing agent.
Web Reference: http://getprequalified.com
Generally, brokers will contact you directly to set up the appointment for a showing. The best option is to let your listing agent put an electronic keybox on the property, then place the instructions "courtesy call, then use lockbox" instruction in the listing.

If you don't make your house REALLY easy to show, then agents will avoid it like the plague. Some sellers actually force the listing agent to attend all showings. If you do that, you are pretty much guaranteeing that no one is going to want to show your home. At best, they'll show it last when there is simply nothing else left to show their buyer.
Web Reference: http://www.marcpaolella.com