Home Selling in Fox Point>Question Details

Adlbray, Home Buyer in Fox Point, WI

When is the right time to hold an open house? Also can homeowners hold open houses? Do open houses really sell houses?

Asked by Adlbray, Fox Point, WI Mon Aug 8, 2011

Answers

3
The internet and virtual tours have made traditional open houses an antiquated way of doing business. However, I have sold homes through an open house simply because I have posted the open house on various internet sites, and the buyers of another agent visited the home and afterwards an offer followed.
Web Reference: http://www.Vassisaviano.com
Some will disagree, but an open house can sell a house but it is not likely, but then anything "can" happen. For the most part an Open House is a tool an agent uses to find people who are interested in buying a house. If they buy yours it would be nice, but it is rare. The agent is looking for more prospective buyers to sell other homes to. I am sure it has happened somewhere now and then.

I have seen agents arrange an open house that the home owner sit at with no agent. I think they do this to make the seller happy while thinking they are marketing their own house. Buyers are often put off when an owner is around and they can't ask some questions they might want to.
You really, really should bring in a Realtor to help you:
You admit that you don't know what you are doing.
Do you have 15-20 signs to put out for the Open House?
Do you have a Flyer made up?
Did you do the Comp's to determine what the ideal Listing Price should be?
Do you have the forms ready in case a Buyer wants to make an offer?
Have you done your Disclosures?
Do you have the Hazard Report ready?
Do you know what Documents and Forms you will need?

Good luck and may God bless