Home Selling in Hinsdale>Question Details

Voices Member,  in

When is the commission paid for the sale of land?

Asked by Voices Member, Thu Feb 14, 2013

Do I pay the % commission before or after I receive the money for the sale?

Answers

5
I don't think Illinois Real Estate law specifies when commissions are paid. This is a negotiable area.Although Illinois brokers are required to provide minimal services.

For example, there are some discount brokerages who charge a flat fee. Whether they are paid before or after a sale depends on the agreement betweent the broker and property owner.

However, since you specifically said "% commission", it would have to be after the sale - or how else would anyone know the $ amount.

In practice, most brokers work on contingency, meaning they don't get paid till the real estate sale closes at a title company or at an attorney's office.

Jim Broline
Remax Enterprises
jim@jimbroline.com
Real Estate Brokerage commissions are generally paid at closing. There should be a written marketing agreement that you signed/entered into with the Brokerage that will spell this out. You were supposed to get a copy of this agreement (if not, then ask for a copy now) and you should reference it to answer or argue your position.
Commission is paid at closing.
Commission rates also vary by brokerage.
The commission is paid at closing, once your receive/transfer title on the property.
Web Reference: http://Www.Casselyn.com