Alias, Home Seller in 94041

When is the best time to sell a home on the Peninsula (SF Bay Area)?

Asked by Alias, 94041 Thu Nov 11, 2010

Answers

8
It's almost always a good time to sell in the Peninsula right now. Mountain View is hopping with Google and Palo Alto (so close by) has Facebook. You're going to do well whenever you sell.

If you missed the spring window, typically about the third week January my clients start waking up from the holidays. Offering seems the most "exciting" February to April. However, with the nice Mt View schools, you can do well all the way until Thanksgiving. I'd stop from 11/1 to 12/31.

Erica Nelson
Education Expert
http://www.EricaNelsonEstates.com
408-416-7090
EricaNelsonEstates@gmail.com
Besides putting it on the market on Xmas or New Year, the weather is mild enough people sell homes year around.
Alias,
The other agents gave you great advice, so I'll go at it from a different angle. Now with elections over and with congress going in to look at extending the tax cuts, if this occurs then there is going to be more stability in the economy so the housing market should pick up. Now some of my buyers have been waiting because they feared the economy was going to get worse, so if it stablizes this late spring should be very good for sellers coupled with interest rates still being VERY low , it might prove out to be a perfect storm.
Now other things may happen that ruin this, but if these things do occur it could be very good for you.
As always feel free to contact me with any questions.
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
dre# 01397256
Hi Alias :-)

All the answers below are correct to a point.

Generally the number of homes are sold is at its highest in March April and May.
Of course that's also when the number of listings increases too.
So in spring more houses for sale more buyers out there looking.

I do not believe one can "time" the market.
World events, economic news, interest rates and a host of other factors effect the market.

So generally I advise people to make a move when emotionally are ready to do so.
The market is what it is, will be what it will be, and no one has any control over it.

If you are going to buy after selling, then this is even more true.
If the market is "hot", you will gain as a seller but will probably pay more for the new house.
If market is "slow", you will lose as a seller but will probably gain as a buyer.

Arn
Alias,
It is true that there is the most home buying activity from Feb through May, but sometimes having your home on the market when there is not a lot of choice is not a bad theing. If you have a home that has a very traditional floor plan, is nicely updated, and in a great location then you might want to sell it when you have the best chance of getting multiple offers. However, if your home is a arder sell, for whatever reason, then sometimes listing in one of the off times when you do not have as much competition is a good thing.

Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Web Reference: http://www.reil.com
In general, early to late spring is the strongest selling period, though it varies greatly by town and neighborhood. In neighborhoods with strong public schools, many properties move just as school gets out for the summer.
February through May. Statistics that go back 40+ years tell us that inventory is just beginning to grow, rates are usually low, and people in Silicon Valley don't mind moving and getting it over with in the early months.

Spring is the time when most appreciation is accumulated year over year. The Summer is moderately flat and the Fall and Winter are usually slow and prices have more of an opportunity to decline during this time.

All of that is generalities.

A home in Mountain View should most likely follow what I've just said. There are a lot of areas along the peninsula that have high demand all year and that would mean right now could be a good time as well.

Email me more details and I can let you know the specifics for your home.

Mark Burns, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Elite - Top 1% Worldwide
President - PRDS, Contracts and Forms for Silicon Valley Residential Real Estate 2008-2011
DRE# 00896552 Licensed since 1985
Over 600 Homes Sold in Silicon Valley
mark@markburns.com
Web Reference: http://www.markburns.com
Traditionally in Santa Clara County the number of sales and the home prices start to pick up at the end of January, after the Superbowl. Each part of the county and each type of property might behave a little different.
Web Reference: http://www.RealtorAMIR.com