Home Selling in Oak Ridge>Question Details

Trulia Orlan…, Other/Just Looking in Orlando, FL

When flipping a house, if an older home has circuit breakers instead of the age-appropriate fuse box, will it definitely need upgrading?

Asked by Trulia Orlando, Orlando, FL Fri Jan 11, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


It would be a good idea from a safety point of view
Just common sense really
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 12, 2013
Check for the Orange levers in the fuse box. (Federal Pacific Electric) I have heard $1,800 quotes for switching these out. Depending on the quality of the "flipper" they may or may not choose to change these out. They have be known to cause fires... Beware..

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
A good spot to explain the Florida Building Code to folks:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 12, 2013
Some circuit breakers are perfectly fine.. and some "age appropriate fuse boxes" are a fire waiting to happen! Get a licensed electrician (or home inspector) out to the property to check it before you start spending money. It is always more expensive to replace once you've finished all the other upgrades and if it is a safety hazard, you will have to replace it or risk not selling the home at all.
Some realtors have very good relationships with "flippers" because they know the quality of work they deliver. If you want to make flipping your living, your reputation will precede you and people will line up to buy your product. You might make a little less profit on one home because you had to spend more on upgrading plumbing or electrics but in the end you will have a higher turnover/more flips because of your reputation..
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 12, 2013
Older homes with with Federal Pacific and circuit breakers require upgrading. Contact an electrician to get a quote.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 11, 2013
Inspectors, Appraisers and Insurance companies are sensitive about circuit breakers. I would definitely change it. Many of the insurance companies now a day’s need what is called a 4-Point Inspection to insure homes that are older than 30 years and one of the categories in a 4-Point Inspection is Electrical.

Hope this helps
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 11, 2013
That may depend on your insurance provider.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 11, 2013
As a practical matter, most insurance companies are requiring that homes be updated to newer electric panels with circuit breakers instead of fuses. Additionally, if you have a breaker box that is FPE - Federal Pacific Electric, it is likely that they will ask you/buyer to replace it or face higher rates.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 11, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer