Jennifer, Home Seller in Massachusetts

When a house is listed how long should it take for people to start calling about showings?

Asked by Jennifer, Massachusetts Tue Oct 7, 2008

What can you do to get more people in the door to see it?

Answers

12
Jennifer,
If your home is 61 Paine Street, it looks like a wonderful home and you have enlisted a fantastic Realtor. Kim knows the market well and I'm sure she did a thorough analysis to get you an appropriate price. Just so we're clear, you personally (as the sellers) will not receive the calls directly. They will either go to Km or her listing service (MAPass).

You will get showings. I'm actually thinking of a few buyers of mine that may be interested. Keep your chin up! It's a challenging time to sell, but nice updated homes (like yours) price appropriately are absolutely selling! Yours will, too.

All My Best,
Mike
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 7, 2008
If the property is priced right.....calls will come in immediately. On the other hand, if you are off the makk, it could take a long while.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 12, 2008
Usually listings get the most activity in the first 2 weeks of listing. Realtors that have ready active buyers are always looking at new listings to show as they come on. Having an open house on the first weekend is important (in my opinion). Has your Realtor had a broker open house? Getting eyes of the Realtor community on the property is helpful. In this market, price is key and if there are no showings, it is likely you have priced high. Perhaps things have changed since you first asked this question but if not, don't take too long to make an adjustment. You should not expect a lot of showings in this market but you should get some! Remember- it only takes one. The right one.
Web Reference: http://www.robingilman.com
It all depends on how quick yiou get the word out that your house is for sale. Internet ads are instant. I got anew listing last week, i was putting up the sign, i had two couples stop and showed them the house, the first couple came back a second time and out in an offer. The first thing is to attract them through pricing the house correctly , the second is to have a great advertising and marketing polan and the third is your realtor should offer 50/50 co brokes to attract the other brokers in your area to your house, as soon as it is uploaded in mls , all other realtors have access to the information. Good luck with your sale
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Dear Jennifer,

You can look at this mathematically or not. Here is what I tell my clients, if not 1 person has walked through the property in the first 2 weeks you have a price or terms issue. Either lower your price or consider what terms of the sale you can afford to add. For instance a lawn mower for the; ? yard?, Include all the appliances maybe even the washer and dryer, how about the AC's for next summer.??? Seems a little trivial but you would be surprised how the little stuff gets a buyer and especially a first time home buyer bidding.

P.S. Beware not to show all your cards upfront, in terms of little extra's included. I find that everyone wants to feel like they are getting a little something more in every transaction. Consider the big ticket item the deal sealer after a rough home inspection or a stressful bank commitment process for the buyer that has already entered into an offer with you.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me anytime by web or phone.

-Karissa Moore
Hogan Real Estate, Inc.
978/410-5248
Jennifer
the rule of thumb is 10-12 showings or one offer in the first 14 days on the market. If we do not see those results then a price adjustment is in order.

You should know that it is critical to get this showing activity. The longer a home sits on the market, the less it will be worth. In my mls, homes selling in the first 30 days sell for 99.7% of asking price. At 120 days they sell for 92.7% of asking (and that would be AFTER some price reductions). So to sell for the best price, get those showings.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Thanks Mike,
Bring your buyers...we are very motivated!
Thanks for all the advice!
We haven't gotten any calls....Does that mean it is priced too high? It is definitely not a drive by. What can we do to get more people interested to even come look at it?
Jennifer,

I agree that if your home is priced at or even a little bit below the market, it should be a few days to a week to start getting showings. In todays market, pricing it even a little higher can be disastrous.

Hope this helps.

Jack
You should receive calls asap....

Jay McHugh
Web Reference: http://www.jaymchugh.com
Our house is in Bellingham, and has been listed since last Thursday. for 325K. It has been totally redone.
Jennifer-
Depending on where you are located and what your price point is, I think it's fair to say that a new, well-priced listings on the MLS should get some calls in the first few days its on the market. Realtors with active buyers are always looking for attractive new listings to show their clients. If it's not on MLS or it's a FSBO, it might take a little longer for the real estate community to catch wind of your listing.

Mike