Question Details

Maureen, Other/Just Looking in North Cambridge, Cam...

When Does a Home Seller Move Out?

Asked by Maureen, North Cambridge, Cambridge, MA Fri Mar 30, 2012

Answers

5
The day of, or prior to, the closing date.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 30, 2012
The seller should be out before you close on your sale, you will want to complete a walk through prior to closing and make sure everything is in satisfactory condition. When you close you should be able to get the keys and take possession of the home. If you let the seller stay in after you close, they can become your tenant by law and become your problem to evict, clean up after or pay to fix anything they take or break
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Generally the property is delivered vacant at closing. In some instances when that is not practical, the buyers attorney will hold a predetermined amount in escrow and include a per diem fee in the agreement allowing the seller to stay 2-4 weeks post closing which covers all of the carrying cost (PITI).
That depends on the terms of the purchase agreement. If I were the buyer I would require possession date of deed, if the seller wasn’t out I wouldn’t close.
I agree with Phil. Day of at the latest. Remember, most buyers do a day of closing walk-through, it is miserable if the seller still has stuff in the home.