Question Details

Walden, Other/Just Looking in New Jersey

When Can a Real Estate Broker Refuse to Take a Listing?

Asked by Walden, New Jersey Tue Mar 20, 2012

Answers

7
if the broker feels that their marketing effort is being wasted depending on price point or disagreement with seller.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 24, 2012
Well, Hope you guys, Do not get caught refusing to sell a persons home who is in the class of HUD It is illegal.. ... I shall copy and paste this and send to HUD myself.. No wonder people cannot stand realtors..
Yes, especially if a seller is unrealistic about pricing, marketing, etc.; keep in mind that no one wants to waste precious time, energy and money, knowing there is no light at the end of the tunnel....
Brokers don't 'have' to take any listings. Just as sellers don't 'have' to list their properties.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Realtors are independent contractors and they can refuse to take a listing whenever they want. Personally, I wish more Realtors would decline overpriced listings... it would make life easier on all of us (agents, sellers and buyers alike).

Some of the reasons behind a refusal to represent a listing might include...
* Unrealistic pricing expectations
* Unrealistic timing expectations
* Difficult, argumentative sellers (personality clash)
* Poor condition of the property
* Unwillingness to follow suggestions of the Realtor

I'm sure there are plenty more "bullet-points" that the average Realtor could add here. When can we refuse to take a listing? Whenever we perceive that it would be a waste of our time and resources.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Absolutely! Many Realtors will pass up a listing where the owner wants it priced at a point where the agent feels it will be a drain and waste of time to try and market it for that price. We get paid only when there is a sale that closes and advertising, marketing, answering questions, showing the property and dealing with the owners are all drains on an agent if there is no reward at the end or no real hope that there will be one.
Of course. Realtors are independent contractors and most operate as business owners. We do not get paid until a deal closes - if I sense a lack of cooperation from the potential seller, lack of motivation or an inability to trust my analysis of the market it is very likely that the property won't sell and there is no sense in spending time and money on it. We also bank our success on our reputation - if I list a $400,000 townhouse for $650,000 I look like a dope and I have to manage that....