Home Selling in Missoula>Question Details

Steve J Gill…, Real Estate Pro in 59421

What to you think about offering a MLS "entry only" product to home sellers who are capable to handle their own side of the transaction?

Asked by Steve J Gillespie, 59421 Thu Nov 15, 2012

Answers

6
My agency did some research and they found that 85% of For Sale By Owner sales eventually become for sale by Realtor. There is so much more than finding the buyer to take care of and each step makes you liable for errors and omissions
The product exists, and frankly if there's anything I as a high volume, highly experienced Realtor dislike more than dealing directly with a seller, I'm at a lost as to what it might be.

Real Estate is a business and it's a business where buyer (and Sellers) are dealing with what is for most the largest sum of money they'll ever deal with. Buyers and Sellers don't know the business end, are often too emotionally involved and generally speaking despite what they might like to think are not suited for handling the transaction on their own any more than they could serve as their own lawyer or doctor.

While I certainly won't not show a property that's entry only, I don't enjoy it and know it's going to be twice as much work if the deal is going to get consummated.
"Capable" and holding a state tested, issued, and held to the National Association of Realtors standards licensee are two totally different things. It is mainly the difference between a professional and an amateur providing a very serious and legally binding service. Realtors must continue their education for their entire careers as Realtors and are accountable for their actions legally and ethically.

So, one would need to ask themselves how do they feel about getting their transmission worked on for their automobile at a certified service center (with a business license) or do they feel comfortable with their own capabilities.
I used a mls listing service years ago in Denver and the deal got a bit complicated. The 'listing only' broker was in an uncomfortable situation because I needed advice but she wasn't in a position to provide it. I had only paid for listing only. Now that I'm a realtor, I personally feel there might be a bit too much professional liability in relation to the compensation.
I think, in the last few years, we have seen how bad SERVICE can get, how sloppy and careless people can be, and how we can project a give-a-s--- attitude.
If this is how you want to be known, go ahead and give that kind of service.
The sellers may be doing the work but it's your name and license on the line.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com