psc032802, Home Owner in 90210

What to do with bedroom in basement for more offers?

Asked by psc032802, 90210 Sat Aug 17, 2013

I currently have a townhome with a 4th bedroom in the basement with a full bath. Most of the homes in my TH community have 3 bedrooms only (all upstairs) and an open basement. I may put my house on the market soon and would like to know what will be best to attract more buyers - keeping the 4th bedroom or renovating to get rid of it and open up the basement.

Answers

6
Keep the 4th bedroom. Makes your property unique and adds something that others don't have but still value
If this is a legitimate 4th bedroom, it would probably be best to keep this area as it is now. Door, window(secondary means of egress), and closet.

On the other hand, in the event this bedroom is "not to code" your idea to renovate the area may be your best option.

Flag Fri Jul 18, 2014
Thanks everyone for your feedback. It sounds like i should keep the bedroom.

It's a non end unit townhouse with an attached garage, so the basement isn't too spacious. There is a sliding glass door leading into the grass covered backyard that's fenced in. I too thought the 4th Br would be more valuable than a 3 BR, but also wonder how many families with children prefer/need the 4th BR over a somewhat spacious recreation room. I personally would not be looking to rent out the bedroom with young children at home.
Keep the 4th bedroom and market it as such.

Definitely keep the 4th bedroom space, it will yield a higher sales price. Buyers can always imagine knocking down a wall but it's harder to imagine (and costs more) to build one. Light staging is well worth it and I can recommend an excellent person to you who will consult you about how to work with what you've got. Otherwise, just (very) clean and neat may just work fine. Great quality photos is key.

Please let me know if I can be of further help,
Christine Rich
703-362-7764
Hi

Thanks for the question.
Does the building has a outside entrance? If it does, you can make it
an au pair or in-law suite by adding a kitchenette. Or just keep it as is,
and let them share the main kitchen.
Most buyers like to have extra bedroom and bathroom.
I am sure your unit of TH came with a higher price tag than the 3 bedrooms unit.
I would give it a nice coat of paint, stage it and sell it. Instead of putting more
money into it. If your unit is already the more expansive one among the neighbors.
Regards
Bee Lee
p/s I am forwarding a list of for sale TH in 22201. As you can see the prices vary according to several factors, one of them is the number of bedroom and bathroom.
Hi, Arlington County has restrictions against sub-dividing homes into multiple kitchens. If you add a kitchen as Bee suggests and want to market it, it must be permitted. In order for a secondary kitchen to be permitted in a home in the county, you need to apply for special permission from the county to essentially create a second living dwelling space. There are only a certain amount that are approved each year and you must have lived in the home for at least 1 full year and the space must qualify under other code requirements as well. I would not recommend going through the process of adding a kitchen if you are getting ready to sell the home, unless you get the kitchen permitted, because you cannot market it in the MLS. Un- permitted projects/rooms, etc... in the home cannot be marketed in the MLS.
Flag Sat Aug 17, 2013
Typically more bedrooms in a home will give your home more value so long as the bedroom is up to code/ legal and you can market it as a 4th bedroom. The MLS will show that your home has 4 bedrooms, whereas your competitors only have 3--- and that can be a bonus.

Also not having seen the property myself, it may depend on the design and functioning of the space to see how much value it adds over a family space; ask yourself if the bedroom, the layout, and the functionality fit the rest of the property and you'll know if it will be an asset to the home or if it just feels awkward or out of place where maybe a family/rec room should be. Good luck!