Question Details

Felix Hung, Real Estate Pro in Irvine, CA

What specifications does one need to be known as a real estate expert?

Asked by Felix Hung, Irvine, CA Sat Sep 25, 2010

Certifications? Hours of Experience? Closed Transactions? Something else? Consumers are most encouraged to answer (but all responses are welcome) so my colleagues and myself can be better agents for you.

Hi Felix,

I've been in real estate several years with an extensive background in business and banking and do not consider myself an expert or specialist in the field of real estate. I often think that the agent who advertises the most in print and Internet regardless of experience will bring the most clients and may promote the individual act of proclaiming to be a real estate expert. Purchasing designations seem to be a growing trend as well.

I realized later in my career that real estate is a numbers game at most requiring little experience. The more clients an agent has in the pipeline usually results in agent success in the industry. Unfortunately, my business skills have not made a significant impact as a broker in real estate as I thought it would.

I too would love to hear from the general public. Great question!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 28, 2010

Like it or not most individuals enjoy this honor by "self proclimation"

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 25, 2010
That specific Sergio?

So you only see 1 or 2 true experts per area? Hmm...interesting thought. I will ponder this the rest of the day. Thanks for the response Sergio and J.
There truly is only one. Know more than anyone else about the area you serve.
Web Reference:

I hear you there! I agree - a lot of agents sell themselves non-stop. but we both know most of those agents probably won't even dare answer any of the posted questions on here; fearing they don't really know the answer.

I hope buyers and sellers will give us their point of view for why they chose one agent over another and why.

Thanks for your response!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 25, 2010
I would say that an expert has to:
1. know his area
2. know her paperwork
3. be professional
4. Know how to qualify buyers and sellers

I do not believe that the certifications matter to consumers at all.
Very true Monir. Great angle and view. I hope some consumers jump in so we get their point of view. Thanks for your response.
Perception of expert status can come from any number of sources. All the factors you mention help, but the reality is there are two sources -- you can become well known as an expert through media (web/tv/extreme advertising), in which case people may regard you as a general expert or an expert in some specific aspect of real estate, or by as a "personal" expert by thoroughly demonstrating your knowledge to a specific buyer.