Question Details

Shelby, Home Seller in Haysville, KS

What should I really focus on when listig my property?

Asked by Shelby, Haysville, KS Thu Dec 27, 2012

Answers

7
Using a good Realtor to safely show to and qualify buyers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
You have gotten great advice from the others who have posted here. I would also talk to your Realtor about how to create incentives for the purchaser and their agent. If you are competing with other properties that may be priced lower, this can help you attract the buyers' attention
In addition to the critical points others have noted below - pricing and staging - you want to be sure that your property is as easy to show as possible. Make sure that the agent you select will make it easy to show (in my area many agents accompany showings and that is often a real roadblock to setting appoinments - lockboxes are better) and be as flexible as can be on your end.

I think of it as being a hotel maid every day my own home is for sale - run through and make the place show ready in the morning - make beds, tidy up, empty wastebaskets, make sure the place smells fresh even if you have to let some cold air in - and be sure to leave the lights on. That way you'll be able to accomodate short notice showings. Light is very important - replace those energy efficient, dim and slow to light up bulbs with regular bulbs and leave lights on every day. It will cost pennies but return $1000s. Buyers are obsessed with light and making your place feels as bright as possible is key.

My choice in terms of agent/agency when I sell is to list with an office that sells a lot / the most in the market. You want to get as many buyers' agents in to your house as possible. Find out what their strategy is to do so when you're talking to agents.

Best of luck - it can be a nerve-wracking process!
In addition to "hitting" the right price, focus on curb appeal, declutter all areas and make minor repairs these small steps will have a favorable impact on ones first impression. Good luck!
Pricing it competitively. The first month is going to be the most important few weeks during your listing period. Buyers are always searching the internet for new listings so don't miss this valuable opportunity.
Secondly, condition of your home is very important - no dripping kitchen faucet etc. because if little maintenance issues that are noticeable to a buyer, can put them off making an offer. Also, presentation of your home i.e. no clutter, have your home really clean and work on staging it for the sale. If you have children, put their toys away in pretty baskets, fresh towels in the bathroom, kitchen counters cleared off. Finally, your curb appeal to get the buyers through your front door.
If you have photos of your yard from the summer or spring with pretty flower borders it is a good idea to leave the photos out for a buyer to see.
Also - discuss with the Realtor you choose to list your home, what his/her marketing plan is. Marketing and pricing a home are extremely important.
Here is the problem .. we aren't looking to make money we are just looking to get out from it.. We don't have any money to put into it anymore otherwise we will take a big loss on our mortgage. Our big thing is we are competing with people who have flipped houses. So putting a price on our house that will compete with those that have been totally remodeled is definitely hard.
Getting it priced right is the main thing. Everything else falls in under that. If you get the price wrong you either give it away or make it unattractive to buyers to want to come see it.

Then remember first impressions matter. What does a buyer see as they approach the house? What is the condition inside? Are there needed repairs that need to be done, if so do them before you list it.