beatriz.fons…, Home Buyer in Fresno, CA

What should I do if the buyers appraisal says my house is 282 sqft smaller? When I bought the house it was 3009 sqft, now they say is 2,727?

Asked by beatriz.fonseca, Fresno, CA Fri Jul 19, 2013

Answers

6
Terre Armstrong’s answer
I appraised a house last week --county records showed 4 bedrooms, 2car garage. 2,140 sqft MLS --3 bedrooms 3 car garage. 2,140. My measurements 3bd 3 car garage house 2,000 sqft. The additional sqft was in the garage not the living area. I made detailed notes in the report about my measurements.

A two story home can be off too. The stair case, open areas, etc - which can be difficult to measure.

I am not making excuses for the appraiser--it is very important to get things right. It appears that the difference in sqft did not cause a problem. If you have concerns contact the appraiser for more information. The appraiser's work file will have the sketch and measurements.

Also, read the report for comments on sqft.

I replaced my measuring tape years ago with a laser --sure helps in measuring those hard to reach spaces . The laser is connected to my iPad with an app that draws out the plan. I make sure everything is correct before leaving the property.
Beatriz,
Was there a small conversion or addition that may have been done without permits? If so, that could be the discrepancy. If not, there may be other reasons. As other agents have suggested, you can check other sources such as the tax records. You can also check MLS history to see what it said about square footage. Sometimes homes are listed in MLS with square footage per seller instead of tax records, but that would show as well. If you want me to email you a copy of your tax records which will show what the county records state, simply send me a message and I will get it over to you.

- Dane
Who said it was 3009 sq feet when you bought it? If you can get a copy of the appraisal try to see where the difference is.

Chris
All that matters is the Price; are you getting a good price:
It is not hard to measure the square footage, particularly if it is a one story house.
But don't get wrapped up in this if it doesn't matter.
Beatriz, I would check the tax records.
They are supposed to use either actual measurements or tax records. You can contest it with tax records or hire an appraiser to do a limited appraisal. They can run as little as 200.00. In this case it would be well worth it. Hooe it helps.
The tax records say that it is 3,009 sqft. So, I think I'll hire an appraiser, thanks!!
Flag Fri Jul 19, 2013