Chris Roberts, Both Buyer and Seller in San Leandro, CA

What's the typical return on investment on kitchen & bathroom updates in San Leandro right now? We're in the

Asked by Chris Roberts, San Leandro, CA Sun Mar 30, 2008

Eastshore/Davis Street area and plan to sell in the next 12-18 months. We'd like to update both kitchen and bath IF it will increase our likely sales price. If we're only going to get 80% back, we're not sure it's worth it as money is tight.

Answers

5
At this time, there are all kinds of deals for remodeling, and a good kitchen and bathroom are always at the top of the list for would be buyers. I would say, go for it! don't overdoit, and keep it simple but elegant, soft colors that match the surroundings. If you are going to stay put after the remodel is even better! At least you'll get to enjoy your handy work. Best of Luck
Hello Chris,

If money is tight right now, I advise you to think carefully and spend wisely. I also agree with some of the previous answers. Fresh paint inside and out, clean windows, inside and out, declutter, and clean the front and back yards. Keep it basic, is the general rule of thumb. Your choices of colors, and decor, might not be what a buyer was looking for. Sometimes, upgrading the faucets and windows and fixtures in a kitchen or bath might be just enough. I would be happy to take a look at your place and make some suggestions. I have a strong sense of what buyers are looking for in this market.
Feel free to contact me anytime. Best of luck in your decision......
Every year, Remodel Online features an article on Cost Vs Value.

Here's the link http://costvalue.remodelingmagazine.com/pacific.html.

You'll notice this is pointed to California (yes you can see what it's like in other parts of the country, too). It provides a very good guideline on what you can expect as a return on your investment/improvement.

You'll also see links to other articles on what would make sense when you are trying to sell your house. Remember that first impressions count' so be sure you have good curb appeal so that folks will be invited to come in and explore even more. That means a nice landscape with floral highlights and color.

What kind of updating are you thinking of? Sometimes, a coat of paint, or refacing the cabinets will look as good as, but not cost as much as replacement. Don't forget putting in new cabinet pulls.

Start watching HGTV for more ideas on what you can do to spruce up your home. If your budget is tight --- invest sweat equity. Concentrate on decluttering, cleaning, and neutralizing your decor so that it appeals to the widest buyer pool.

I like Eric's post. Talk with a Realtor that knows that market and can see YOUR home and how it will compete with other properties. If money is tight, definitely get advice before proceeding.

In terms of priorities, fresh paint inside and out, clean windows, inside and out, upgrade wattage op light bulbs,declutter, stage, these types of things are not that expensive, but take time and knowledge.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
I have seen bathroom and kitchen remodels get as much as $1.50 for every dollar that is spent, but, whenever I am asked this question i always say that the primary reason you should remodel a bath of kitchen in your in your home is that it will increase the quality of your life while you are living in the home.
That being said. if you want to remodel your kitchen or bath to increase the sale value, be very careful about how you do it. Go to some open houses, and see what others have done, and ask yourself, "Does this remodel make me want to spend more money on this home?"
Be very aware of how much you want to spend, and spend wisely. Simply refacing cabinets and new paint can do alot to brighten a kitchen, rather than all new appliances. Try to look at things the way a buyer would look at them, and not as you do as the owner.
It would not be too early to invite a Realtor in to help advise you about what people are looking for.
Think carfully, and spend wisely.