Penny G, Home Seller in California

What's the best way to get exposure for my FSBO house on the internet?

Asked by Penny G, California Tue Dec 11, 2007

Answers

10
Penny,

I am a Realtor, so ultimately I am going to say a Realtor will get you the best price for your home because they will get you the most exposure -- but of course you'll think I am lying! So here are the ways you can exhaust before you throw up your hands and call one of us (me preferably).

Santa Barbara Craigslist is good but you tend to get "bottom-feeders". Watch out for these guys. Meet them in a public place, etc.

You can post your place on owners.com, which is intended for For Sale By Owners (so-called fizbos).
http://www.forsalebyowner.com is also available, and there are others. Do a Google search.

Wherever you post, be sure to have at least 6 photos (inside and out combined), and more if possible. On my Sotheby's listings, I post as many as 16 pix, but some sites limit you to far less.

Last tip: Be sure to put up a sign with flyers re. your place on it so passersby can grab one and perhaps call you for a showing.

Finally, call a local title company, tell them you are selling your home and you will use them if they will help you. They can provide you with mailing labels of everyone in your neighborhood. Write these folks, invite them to an open house you have scheduled, serve fresh-baked cookies (good smell, good taste, makes the home feel very homey). Why neighbors? Because sometimes they have friends who have visited them and inquired about the 'hood.

Good luck, and please call me if you get fed up and decide you want professional help. Stats show that Realtor-sold homes go for significantly higher prices, which more than makes up for the percentages we cost.

Frank Hotchkiss
Sotheby's International Realty
805-898-2084
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 11, 2007
I would also highly recommend Craigslist, we get a lot of traffic from that website, you just have to stay on top of it and update it every week.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 11, 2007
Pennny
It's true that over 85% of buyers shop for their homes on line. However, the other interesting statistic is that over 90% of the time the buyer first sees the home they purchase with a Realtor. So you wouldn't want to exclude 90% of the buyers, would you?

Also, sellers that sell on their own have two characteristics you should know:
1 Compared to homes sold by Realtors, sellers on their sell for an average of 16% less (NAR 2007 Survey)
2. Over 85% of sellers who started selling on their own eventually list with a Realtor.

So I can give you a big, long list of sites on which you can list your home. Zillow, Craigslist, forsalebyowner.com, owners.com. Just to name a few.

However, if the real question was "how can I sell my home for the most net profit?" I would have suggested talking with three Realtors and selecting the best one. In this market time is money. While you are "testing" the market, your home could drop in value by 2-3% per month. Be careful. Make wise choices.f

Merry Christmas!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 11, 2007
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
A good rule of thumb is to google as though YOU are the buyer. The top sites you find are the top sites your buyers will see.
There are many sites for the FSBO to place their ads. Google "free FSBO sites",:"homes for sale" (on this after weeding through the realtor sites, you will see the top FSBO sites; "FSBO for sale"; etc

Advertising on the internet is a great media since many buyers initiate their home buying searches on the internet. So by all means place all the ads you can, provide as many good quality pictures as you can, describe your home well and concisely. One high impact statement under or on a picture can produce more positive interest than a paragraph explaining every nut and bolt improvement.

Many potential buyers surfing the net, must sell their homes first.

You as seller may want to sell your home as soon as possible.

After you have placed your ads on the internet, you may want to think about how to capture the ready, willing and able buyer who is out there looking now or within the next few weeks.

There are many potent marketing techniques to maximize your exposure to the immediate buyer:

Most FSBO's realize that most buyers work with realtors once they start buying, so most FSBO's these days offer compensation to an agent bringing a buyer.
However you can go one step further with this by "partnering" with an agent.
or partner with a loan officer

Partnering with an agent:
Most FSBO's are innundated with realtor calls and visits trying to "get their listing".
In establishing the value of the home, many FSBO's request a knowledgeable, experienced, successful
agent (or agents) do a market analysis. When you do this, one agent may stand out as the most
knowledgeable and experienced. To partner, let the agent know that you want to FSBO (the agent will
respect that) but ask if they would like to participate in your open houses or use your home in their
marketing.
If they participate in your open house. If the agent participates with you, you will not only have the
marketing you would do, but also the marketing budget and signage of your partner realtor. Realtors
who regularly hold open homes typically come with contract to write an offer on the spot. And
your partner realtor is an extra set of eyes if the prospective buyers split up and go in 15 different
directions.

Partnering with a loan officer.
If you have a preferred loan officer or mortgage broker (or if your partnering realtor has), you may want
to partner with that loan officer. Some times the loan officer will provide signage, will attend your open
house to prequalify buyers, will provide flyers and sometimes some advertising.

There are so many ways to market to capture the immediate buyer

best of luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 11, 2007
Visit http://www.val-u-sell.com today to get your Southern California home listed on MLS for $195. No real estate commissions paid at closing. Based in Southern California, Val-U-Sell.com is committed to help homeowners save hard-built equity by offering a flat fee web-based advertising service with no listing commission paid at closing. Since March 2005, our customers have retained their for sale by owner status (FSBO) while advertised on the local Realtor MLS, Realtor.com, Homeseekers.com, Los Angeles Times Online, Orange County Register Online and various independent brokerage websites. Flat fee listing packages run until sold and start at just $195. We offer market valuation analysis, agent telephone support, paperwork preparation services, signs, lockboxes, virtual tours, toll free greetings and professional brochures to help the do-it-yourself homeowner sell faster for more money. Call (888) 316-7355 to list your home with us today!
Web Reference: http://www.val-u-sell.com
Hi Peggy, There are some great resources online. Some of them are only available to Realtors. Some are not. Try Postlets, it is one of my favorite resources. http://Postlets.com
Getting listed on the MLS is vital these days and allwoing your listing to be syndicated online really spreads out your listing info. You may be able to do this just by paying a fee instead of listing. Also try setting up your own property website and blogging about your home. Good luck, Tni
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I did take your advise to heart and listed it with a Realtor. Unfortunately it did not sell, the tenants moved out, and I didn't find new tenants willing to be in the house while it was actively marketed. So I'm just sitting tight for the term of the lease I just signed with my new tenant. It's a tough situation, I had to move and couldn't take the house with me. Fortunately I am in a position financially to just sit tight.... Thanks again!
I found another one that seemed to have a lot of for sale by owner homes as well. It seems to organize tho top FSBO cities very nicely and let's you browse and sort by the common features (beds, baths, price, etc.).

By Owner Homes and Land
http://www.byownerhomesandland.com
I was looking for FSBO websites out their for selling my current home to try to avoid the commission. There seem to be quite a few websites out there that assemble a large number of FSBO homes and property for sale. Many of the smaller/regional sites also syndicate to larger sites like Vast.com, Oodle, FSBOBuyersGuide.com, PropSmart, and others. If you are an FSBO seller and are looking to get the best web exposure, I would make sure that a local FSBO site offers exposure on these larger websites. The more exposure, the more buyers...

Here are some links in case you'd like to do your own browsing:

Vast - http://www.vast.com/real_estate
FSBO Buyer's Guide - http://www.fsbobuyersguide.com
PropSmart - http://propsmart.com/
Oodle - http://www.oodle.com/housing/sale/
Penny,
Frank here has some great ideas for you, including the one for you to give him a call. :) But honestly, the best way to get you home exposed is one the number one real estate website in the world...REALTOR.com. My listings have a tremendous effect on potential buyers due to the crazy amount of views they get everyday with very little output...they are on virtual auto pilot 24-7 while I'm meeting with potential buyers out at the home and marketing to more potential buyers. My listings are showcased enhanced and so they get clicked on over 70% more than homes that are not. I can actually track the amount of clicks on this site as well as several major sites on the internet. Unfortunatley, these FSBO sites rank really low for interent exposure and to be on REALTOR.com your home must be listed with a broker. Good Luck!