Question Details

Butteredgrits, Home Seller in Dallas, TX

What qualities make a great Realtor?

Asked by Butteredgrits, Dallas, TX Sun Jun 7, 2009

I'm considering selling my house & buying another. What qualities should I consider when choosing a Realtor?

Answers

14
Some very excellent advice so far. I would just like to add that there are some agents with a lot of experience. It does not necessarily make them good. Check with others that you know, co-workers, friends, family et cetera. Ask them who they worked with. Get first-hand knowledge of not only their experience, but their day to day practice.

I have worked with a number of agents who had twice the experience of myself and I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't let them sell my dog house. One problem I run into is their lack of concern for their client among other issues.

One very important factor is that your agent is in contact with you and everyone involved in the transaction. They need to pay attention to dates and deadlines and they need to be accessible and return calls or emails in a timely fashion. It's great to have someone that thinks outside the box, but if they don't follow up, what good is it.

The best advertising has always been word of mouth and I believe that is still very true today and especially in real estate.
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 26, 2011
grits, bacon and ...salsa? Rockin...... sounds like you may need a chaser of Tums.

Butter - in addition to the great suggestions already made, it also helps to like, respect and feel comfortable with the agent you hire. .It will be like a short-term marriage, as you will be in close contact (well, you should be) on a regular basis.

I like JR's comment about being a great seller, too - that really helps - the best transactions I have had have been with great sellers (that means they were clear thinking, motivated, rational and responsive) - together we made a successful team!

good qualities - they shoud be......: competent, confident, assertive, knowledgeable, creative, detail oriented, and have great follow-through (no, not on a golf course).....

Debbie Rose
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 14, 2009
B
IMHO
They need to fully understand your goals and objectives
Moving is no the sale of a property, it is the sale, transaction, transition, and occupation of a new home. It's a process.
Anticipate problems BEFORE they occur and offer your choices of actions and potential outcomes.

You should be able to look at a proposal presented by a Realtor, and determine if the proposal will meet your needs. The best example of this is a seller who lists with an agent that gives the seller "their price". The most serious mistake a seller can make is to tell an agent "I'll only sell my home if I get....." AND the agent accepts the listing.

In these times only serious sellers qualify to list with me. Need to sell, or want to sell with a definite goal...like upgrading to a larger home. Otherwise the seller is heading for disappointment.

Setting clear expectations up front is key to a successful relationship. You need a professional who can distinguish between what they know, and what they don't know. You also need one that will be honest and tell you the truth, even if it means losing a sale.

You, as the owner, should ask some tough questions:
I have another Realtor that will list my home for a higher price, and a lower commission. Why should I not list with them?
What options do I have if the appraisal come in under the agreed sales price?

You and your Realtor are a team. Team means that you work together, as comrades. Not as an employer/employee.

Good luck. If you' d like a referral to a top REaltor in your area, let me know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 7, 2009
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Look for someone with the personal drive to be successful at whatever they do as well as someone that understands and accepts a total committment to their customers.

From the customer's perspective it is also important to find someone you can both work closely with and trust.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 7, 2009
First and foremost you have to be comfortable with the person. Do you communicate well ? If you cannot get past that step well then you have a problem. As far as other qualities it is as simple as a job interview.

Are they working in the geographic area you are searching in ?
Are they the local expert you need ?
How many transactions have they completed ?
Do they have a plan for success as a buyer's agent ?
Do they have a marketing plan as a seller's agent ?

For me it all boils down to a perfect team that is scheduled for success . If you do not get that feeling then move on to the next Realtor
A really GREAT Realtor listens to you. She facilitates your purchase, or sale; offers answers, and most importantly makes this an easy transaction. This is likely one of the most important transactions in your life; there are a lot of details involved. She simplifies things which makes for a seemless transition.
The following qualities are a must: Experience in your market, a consistent track record in changing economies, intelligence, work ethic, confidence, and patience. The listing appointment should leave you feeling the agent is smart and committed. A few minutes of internet research on the agent's experience before the listing appointment, as well as direct questioning of the agent of their marketing strategy will leave you with the right feeling behind your decision of conducting further business, or interviewing the next prospective agent. I feel Realtor Teams with experience offer more service. Maryanne does the majority of our negotiating while I handle all internet, and local marketing. We can usually cover twice the ground of a single agent. Our clients also have the benefit of two opinions upon request. Lastly, no matter what industry you're doing business with, unless your agent loves his/her job, they will suck at it. Make sure you get the feeling at the listing appointment that your agent is in love with selling your house, and finding the home of your choice. No matter how many houses it takes to find your next home.

Good Luck,
Dwayne Moyers
Ask them how many of their listings have expired.
When you interview Realtors you may want to ask...
If I do not have many showings or any offers within X amount of time,
WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

If they say , "reduce the price"
Ask , "how much?"

Understand that
$ 5,000 reduction = $28.25/month reduction in payment for a potential Buyer
$10,000 reduction = $56.51/month "
$15,000 reduction = $84.77/month "
$20,000 reduction = $113.03/month "

I am sure that you will agree that the cost for the Seller is excessive in comparison to the savings for the Buyer.

If you are looking for a more financially impactful way to increase market potential, expand your pool of qualified Buyers and improve market psychology for Buyers who are concerned about declining values, please visit us:
Web Reference: http://www.321advantage.com
Okay........so now where are the grits? I like mine with a coupla slices of bacon and scrambled eggs with some salsa on the side for the eggs. Hurry up! It's past my breakfast, but it's good for dinner too. :)
These are all great tips. I appreciate the input.
Buttered, after you figure out what qualities a Realtor should have, think about what qualities a seller should have. Some of those qualities are: a desire to sell the house. That seems obvious, but too often sellers say they are serious about selling, but when offers come in they refuse to counter. During the listing interview, sellers will say they have to sell: they want a larger home, they are struggling to pay the mortgage, then when we have an offer, all of a sudden they can wait and don't have to sell. Decide what your timeframe is. How soon would you like to sell? Sellers say they want to sell yesterday, but when the offers aren't where they would like them, all of a sudden they can wait until the market comes back up. Sellers should also have the ability to look at their house unemotionally. There are many many homes for sale. Be realistic about what sets yours off from the others, or doesn't. A great seller makes their home easily accesible for showings. A great seller combined with a great realtor = a sold home!
Butteredgrits,

The first link is to a page that has discussions on using the same agent for both buying and selling, and the second is on choosing an agent. Good luck.

http://www.trulia.com/voices/q_using+the+same+realtor+for+bo…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/rockinblu/2008/12/i_ve_got_my_fin…
Many Realtors will do a great job. However, a full time Realtor that know the market and make himself available to provide the service you need is the best way to go.