Sheila, Home Seller in 30306

What qualities and services should I look for when choosing a realtor to sell my home? The house is in Morningside, an in-town community in

Asked by Sheila, 30306 Sun Mar 28, 2010

Atlanta.

Answers

19
All the suggestions that the other agents have given are great advise. I would also add ask the agent did he or she send there children to Morningside, Inman, and Grady High School. Do they know if your house is now in the Springdale Park school district? Can the properly market your home to people so the know that Morningside is one premier neighborhoods in Atlanta.

Do they personally work, live and visit your neighborhood everyday so that they not only market on web and in print but do it face to face, door to door. I am in your neighborhood everyday as a former Morningside parent and a Grady High School parent.
Hey Shelia. Here's what I give to everyone I meet with when I go on a listing appointment...

Questions To Ask Your Realtor®

1. Are you a full-time professional Realtor®? How long have you worked full time in real estate? What professional designations do you have?
Knowing whether or not your Realtor® practices real estate on a full-time basis can give you a piece of the puzzle in foreseeing scheduling conflicts and, overall, his or her commitment to your transaction. As with any profession, the number of years a person has been in the business does not necessarily reflect the level of service you can expect, but it is a good starting point for your discussion. The same issue can apply to professional designations.

2. Do you have a personal assistant, team, or staff to handle different parts of the sales transaction? What are their names and how will each of them help me in my transaction? How do I communicate with them?
It is not uncommon for high real estate sales producers to hire people to work for them or with them. They typically work on a referral basis, and, as their businesses grow, they must be able to deliver the same or higher quality service to more clients.
You may want to be clear about who on the team will take part in your transaction, and what role each person will play. You may even want to meet the other team members before you decide to work with the team overall. If you needed help with a certain part of your home sale, who should you talk to and how would you communicate? If you have a question about fees on your closing statement, who would handle that? Who will show up to your closing? These are just a few of the many important considerations in working with a team.

3. How will you keep in contact with me during the buying process, and how often?
It's a good idea for you to set your expectations reasonably in accordance with how your Realtor® conducts business. You may be looking for an agent to call, fax, or email you every days to tell you about prospective buyers who have seen your home. On the other hand, your Realtor® may have access to systems that will notify you automatically each time a new visitor tours your home (which could happen several times a day or several times a week). Asking this extra question can help you to reconcile your needs with your Realtor®'s systems, which makes for a far more satisfying relationship.

4. Can you explain one thing that you do that other agents don't do that ensures I'm getting top dollar for my property? What is your average market time versus other agents' average market time?
Marketing skills are learned, and sometimes a real estate professional's unique method of research and delivery make the difference between whether or not a property sells quickly. For example, an agent might research the demographics of your neighborhood and present to you a target market list for direct marketing purposes.

5. Do you have a performance guarantee? If I am not satisfied with your performance, can I terminate our listing agreement?
Understand that, especially in the heavily regulated world of real estate, it can be increasingly difficult for a Realtor® to offer a performance guarantee. Sometimes you may find a Realtor® who is willing to guarantee that if you are dissatisfied in any way with their service they will terminate your listing agreement. If your Realtor® does not have a performance guarantee available in writing, it is not an indication that he or she is not committed to perform. Realtors® at Keller Williams Realty understand the importance of win-win business relationships, and that the Realtor® does not benefit if the client does not also benefit.

6. How would you develop pricing and marketing strategies for our home? Will you commit to the marketing strategy in writing?
Pricing a home correctly is the single most important factor in determining if a home sells quickly, or at all. Although location and condition also effect the selling process, price is a primary factor. Access to all current property information is essential, and sometimes a pre-appraisal will help. Ask your agent where he or she obtained the information to create the market analysis, and whether your agent included For Sale By Owner homes, foreclosed homes, and bank-owned sales in that list.

7. What will you do and what will you not do to sell my home? Who determines where and when my home is marketed/ promoted? Who pays for your advertising?
Ask your real estate agent to present to you a clear marketing and advertising budget, and how those dollars will be spent. Ask if there are other forms of advertisement/ marketing media that are also available but not mentioned in the budget/plan, and who pays for those. Request samples of the various media that your agent proposes (such as Internet Web sites, print magazines, and local publications).

Julie Brittain
404-966-3328
#1 Agent in the Market Center!
Web Reference: http://www.TeamBrittain.com
Someone who knows the inventory, pricing and market conditions of your area. Someone who has a good track record and has tools to give you the maximum exposure to potential buyers. Some good questions to ask: how many listings do you currently have in my market area? how many have you closed in my market area in the past 6 months? what is the saturation rate in my market area? what is your average days on market for your listings? what marketing plan do you have to get my listing maximum exposure? These are just a few, but if they don't know the answers to these questions, I'd say keep shopping until you find a realtor who can get the job done.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 28, 2010
Look for an agent that is in touch with the realtor community and has previous experience in the neighborhood. Also, web marketing to online Buyers and eMarketing to local agents is key as well.

We would love to talk with you about how we can help. If you'd like to learn more, please visit our website.
Web Reference: http://www.teamellis.biz
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 28, 2010
It is simple in my opinion:

An Intown Atlanta Agent/Brokerage

Innovation- Many agents use the standard I list your home, do open houses, do brochures, do flyers, email blasts, etc. But what do they differently that makes them stand out? How do they think outside of the "real estate agent" box? Make sure they see your home as unique and individual and provide ideas and marketing strategies therein. Everyone has a binder or a power point that looks pretty but what can that agent or team do specifically.

Track record of team and/or individual agent success

Most importantly, you should be able to have a very communicative relationship where you can always express yourself to the agent and understand the agent can and will express themselves to you.

Save the "friendship" until the home is closed. Agents and Clients are friendly with each other but need to remain aware that this is a legal transaction and should be handled accordingly.

Thanks!
Sheila - Zac is indeed the man.

Zac's team has the qualities and the services that make a good real estate team. He even has a moving truck.

So, if his notable team doesn't have what you are seeking, then what exactly are you seeking from a real estate agent?
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com
Sheila -
#1.) Look out for the boastful ones! (LOL)
#2.) Look out for the "Rookies from Price Chopper." (They buy your listing by overpricing it... then start chopping.)
#3.) Look for an agent who offers a marketing strategy that helps to give you a competitive edge so that your home stands out among the competition.
#4.) Look for a savvy agent who is willing to think outside the box.
#5.) Know that the lure of the prize is often the catalyst for the sale.

Happy sales to you...until we meet again!
Sheila,

I know you have had several different answers regarding your question and all are great answers but just like in any transaction you want to be sure you are dealing with someone of high integrity and has your best interest at heart. Of course you will want to do your background to make sure the agent is doing a good amount of volume and is thoroughly aware of the community you are selling in. Good luck selling your home and the key to selling quickly is to price correctly.

Brad Hartman
Cornerstone Mortgage Group
678-578-7611
bhartman@cmghl.com
When a client contacts my office we don't jump run out the door, we invest the time and interview the person ( family) determine short / long term goals, how real are they on sales price vs. true value of home, can they actually afford sell the home.

We don't over price out listings we offer at fair market value ANY agent who wants to inflate list price have negative impact of having home sold.

I listen to seller who never speak with their Realtor I would test those waters on their response rate. Majority of time calls are returned within a reasonable 2 hours from receipt or email within "business hours" we notify our clients times we do normal business activities.

GREAT QUESTION:

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant,
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
It is also helpful to have high quality and professional marketing tools.
Web Reference: http://www.radley.biz
Hello Sheila,
One major thing to look for is responsiveness/accessibility.
For any Realtor you intend to choose, look out for what current listings that Realtor has now. Call into that phone number (if any) as a buyer. You know agents will not buy your home, but buyers. Try calling somewhat odd hours also. Any Realtor that can sell your home should be able to answer calls when buyers/agents call. Or call back within reasonable time.
What abount A Realtor who has been selling Morningside 1 yard at a time for 31 years? What about a Realtor you has lived in Morningside since 2nd grade? What about a Realtor who has helped more singles, couples and families then any other? Oh, by the way that is me. And that is only half of the reason. For the other half, please contact me
Zac Pasmanick
404 564 7272
sold@zac.biz
http://www.zac.biz
I agree with Ron about marketing ability. I think if the marketing (includin buyer profile), pricing and staging is well coordinated it should result in a quick sale.
Hi Sheila:

There are some good answers below. But the most important thing is marketing ability. Too many of us confuse "sales ability" with "marketing ability." Sales people are good at meeting the needs of someone positioned physically in front of them (or at least at the other end of a phone line). In such cases, client feedback is immediate and highly accurate so the sales person can respond with considerable confidence.

However, your agent will probably not meet the buyer of your home until everyone gathers around the closing table. This is because buyers usually come with their own agents. As such, your agent should have very good communication skills. The agent should know how to use words and pictures to motivate the behavior of people he or she has never met. The agent should know which words ring true with buyers in your area. He/she should know what questions buyers will likely ask before considering your home. She/he should find avenues to answer these questions, perhaps even before buyers ask them. He/she should know how to emphasize the good qualities of your home and minimize the less favorable issues. She/he also should understand the process through which potential buyers will form an emotional attachment to your home and help you style your home to create this outcome.

In other words, your agent should be adept at communicating across an abyss. And this is not easy. It is fair for you to ask potential agents to bring marketing materials produced for other clients and it is fair to ask about agents' marketing theory. Then listen carefully to see if you think an approach will work for your home.

Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Boulder, CO
303.473.1926
Sheila, I would agree with rockinblu below.

Contact Hank Miller He seems to know the area down to the neighborhood level. What I like best about him is that he tells it how it is. No blowing smoke, just the facts. He may tell you something you will not like. But he will tell you what is real. If I was to buy in that area Hank would be the first person I would contact.

Unlike realtors rockinblu and I will never receive a referral commission for saying this.
I gave a thumbs up to David, Julie and Charles.

Qualities - charm, tact, tenacity, vibrancy, assertiveness, sales professionalism, Intown market savvy, duly diligent thinking, a troubleshooter's mindset, a logistician's circumspection, servant leadership, a positive attitude, intimate knowledge of local economics...too many to name - just don't hire a rookie and interview three of four agents - you'll see similar qualities among the best

Services - to me, this starts with a pencil, a clipboard, a 25' measuring tape and a 300' measuring tape, a flashlight and some market stats - the fluffy stuff that agents flash will never matter - a team approach gets great results in this hectically paced world, but job #1 always starts with me - I wanna get to know the house and make a vivid comparison with my knowledge of the current competition, after doing this, I want to get to know the client - what has been their experience with real estate agents? Expectations are set at the first meeting and customization matters. Marketing savvy is either there, or it's not. Rule #1 - have an erect sign and a flyer box with flyers in it. Over 50% of the agent population doesn't seem to get this, do they?

A track record of proven success matters most - my track record is in the web reference...

Good luck with your next steps.
Our office is located at 1411 North Highland Avenue; the heart of Morningside.

Most of our Associates live within a few miles of our office. We know the marketplace and have been a fixture at 1411 North Highland since 1976.

We can also boast that our sales during 2009, in terms of units, was 62 percent ahead of 2008 results, and in terms of dollar volume, we were up 11%. So far this year, we are ahead of our 2009 units sales volume, through February 28th.

I would be happy to talk with you to determine which of our Associates would be the best 'fit' for you.

Scott Askew
President CRB CRS SFR
Fourteen West, REALTORS & Askew Realty Co.
saskew@askew.com
404-874-6357 770-434-8580
14west.com askew.com
Honesty - integrity - Local Knowledge of the Market and a good Work Ethic.
First, I tell my prospects to find a REALTOR, not just an agent, and then make sure they work full time in the industry. Check to make sure they actually are closing transaction by getting their dollar volume or transaction count in the last 12 months.

I suggest that my prospects hire someone with additional staff to handle contract to closing. That way they know the REALTOR is spending their time marketing the homes for sale and negotiating offers.

The key to selling your home is pricing correctly, so don’t do as so many sellers do, don’t choose the agent that suggests the highest listing price. Make them show you the supporting sales history to support their suggested listing price.

Mark Lackey
Atlanta Housing Source at
Solid Source Realty, Inc.
Top 1% Producer 2009
Associate Broker
EcoBroker
404-886-8789

Services
Home Buyers & Sellers - http://www.AtlantaHousingSource.com
Property Management – http://www.SolidSourcePM.com

Blogs
Buying & Selling Homes – http://www.Blog.AtlantaHousingSource.com
Property Management – http://www.SSPMBlog.SolidSourcePM.com