Home Selling in 33573>Question Details

Teri Reidt, Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

What plumbing & electrical box updates have to be made before listing?

Asked by Teri Reidt, Tampa, FL Wed Feb 6, 2013

1979 Hampton. Where can I find info as to what are or if there are any legal requirements regarding these updates

Help the community by answering this question:


These are not legal requirements. These are upgrades that are necessary to obtain insurance coverag from most carriers in particular Citizens. Also if you are in Kings Point and might need to take advantage of the master insurance policy ASI has announced they will not cover losses determined to be caused by polybutoline plumbing or zinsco electrical panels.

You should contact an insurance carrier for specifics on these issues. My information has come from 3 sources, Great Florida Insurance, AAA INsurance and Clifton and Lewis, all local to Sun City Center.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
Thank you for clearing up that issue. I thought the electrical box upgrades were required by law. This could save me some money because I am not planning to have insurance coverage on the property I am buying. However, I still want to get the typical upgrades. If the insurance companies think it is a good idea, then so do I.

Flag Fri Apr 3, 2015
I agree, contacting the insurance carrier would be the best way to find out this information. You should make sure that you get the plumbing inspected before purchasing though. that is the best way to know exactly what is going on, and what still needs to be replaced. There's nothing worse than having plumbing problems. http://www.blountsspeedyrooter.com
Flag Thu Jan 8, 2015
I'm not exactly sure, but I think it depends on your home. I would see what things could be updated and possibly have an contractor come in and tell you. You could also hire an inspector. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you! http://www.callthedraindoctor.com
Flag Tue Jan 6, 2015
I'm not sure what things have to be done. I would call a real estate agent and see what the requirements are. Because they deal with this so frequently, they should know all the ins and outs of updating a home. Good luck and I hope you're able to figure out what you need! http://www.qualtire.com/qualtire-services/
Flag Fri Dec 5, 2014
Thank you. I am assuming that ASI sells homeowners insurance to those living in Kings Point. Otherwise, I don't understand what role the master insurance company for the community would have regarding individual insurance. Really appreciate the prompt replys. Thank you.
Flag Wed Feb 6, 2013
Great answer!
Flag Wed Feb 6, 2013
There are no mandated updates on real estate prior to listing it for sale. However if the buyer is getting a mortgage and requires insurance, the plumbing and electrical may need to brought up to a code that the 2 require before they will loan or insure the property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 8, 2014
This is the answer I would go with. If I were in your position, I'd bring a licensed electrician in to look at your box. If there's a problem or if it's not up to code, they can give you some options before you list your house. http://www.profxservices.com
Flag Tue May 12, 2015

Sounds like everyone has a little different advice for you on this issue; I would tell you to contact a great home inspector and ask them to do a little look for you. Their job is to make sure the homes pass those inspections so they can tell you if something may flag the property when an offer comes in. Please don't do to much without talking to a professional. You would hate to put more money into your home if you are just planning to sell it. I know several great inspectors and would be happy to refer you to them.

If I can answer questions about listings, or real estate in general, please don't hesitate to ask. I am a no pressure, just help kind of Realtor. Review my profile on Trulia and send me a message with your contact info or email me directly at THOYT@prutropical.com if I can send you the inspector info or help in any way.

Tracy Hoyt
Prudential Tropical Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
I was going to recommend the same thing. An electrician is the first authority you should subscribe to. If there's anything wrong with the electrical box or the way it was installed, it's better to find out now rather than when you try to sell the house. | http://www.can-duitelectric.net
Flag Tue Dec 2, 2014
Your best bet is going to be contacting someone who works with the government, specifically with building codes. beyond that, you could try talking to a home inspector. They would be able to tell you what you need to upgrade to avoid problems with your sale. After that it's as simple as getting a plumber and electrician to do the actual repairs and upgrades.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 10, 2015
Any contractor you talk to should be able to tell you what king of electrical and plumbing updates that you will need. They have a lot of experience putting it in the right kind or boxes, so you shouldn't have to worry too much. As long as you find a good contractor you won't have to worry too much about the smaller details. http://www.alpineelectricseattle.com
Flag Tue Apr 14, 2015
Hey Teri,

Yeah, the best thing really is to do a pre-listing home inspection. It'll cost you a few hundred $s, but its worth it. Getting it done ahead will help you sell.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 26, 2015
Getting an inspection before listing your home is great advice. This will reduce the possibility of running into surprises down the road. If the inspector even cautions you about an electrical issue, I would get it fixed. They are a major turn-off to potential buyers.

Flag Tue Mar 17, 2015
Ordinances regarding electrical work are different all over the place. I'm not sure where the requirements would be listed for your area. You might try contacting a licensed electrician in your area. They'll probably be familiar with the requirements that you need to meet in order to list your home. While they're at your house, you might as well get a quote from them on how much it would cost to upgrade the electrical work in your home. http://www.crownelectricltd.ca/en/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 8, 2015
That is a very interesting question and I am not exactly sure. I didn't even know that updates had to be made even before the listing. I would recommend asking an electrician and plumber about those questions.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 15, 2014
The city is probably the best place to start asking questions. A contractor would also know the new plumbing and electrical upgrades that need to happen. Since you are probably going to need to have some upgrades anyways, you could just look into hiring a contractor and figuring out what the regulations are from him. http://www.pittonplumbing.com
Flag Wed Feb 25, 2015
I think you should just talk to a plumber and electrician. They would know what will be inspected during the process of a sale. Once you know what needs to be changed you can decide if you want to do the work yourself or hire the technicians you already talked to. Overall, it shouldn't be too hard to get the information you need, or to get the work done.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 18, 2014
I don't think you'll have legal problems if you don't update these things, it just might be difficult to sell it with an outdated system. If you are wanting to get it updated to increase the worth of the home and help it have appeal to buyers, you should probably get it repaired or replaced. To do this, I would ask some different electricians to find one that can help get this done for you. http://www.alpineelectricseattle.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 5, 2014
You probably won't run into any legal issues. That doesn't mean you shouldn't look into getting plumbing and electrical repairs. A few inexpensive fixes may make your home much more appealing. It doesn't hurt to get some quotes.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 1, 2014
I would talk to a contractor to see what kind of updates your house needs. I don't think there will be anything with the electrical, but the plumbing might have some issues. You could look online to see the regulations for your specific area, but I think it's easier to just have a contractor help you. http://www.amyottesplumbing.ca
Flag Tue Jan 27, 2015
I don't think there is any legal requirement to do this. There are a number of electrical and plumbing services that are definitely required though. I would have an electrician and plumber do a walk through and just check a few things. If you do this you should avoid any unnecesary problems that you could run in to.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 28, 2014
If you are talking about bringing your home up to current code...it is not your responsibility to do so unless you are doing updates which require such. Codes change all the time and home owners would never be able to keep up with them. Now if you feel something is of a safety nature and you are still living in the home, I would take care of that. Certainly a home inspector would make the buyer aware of safety issues.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 25, 2014
It is true that codes are constantly changing. Unless you are involved in the business it is very challenging to stay on top of all the updates and changes. I would speak with a plumber and electrician. They can ensure that everything is up to speed; they can also make the adjustments if needed.
Flag Fri Nov 7, 2014
That information could be gotten from either a qualified electrician/plumber or your local city office. Then again it might not be required, but highly suggested. Older workings like that can be ineffective or dangerous.
Michael Foster http://www.lewisplumbingsantabarbara.com/santa-barbara-sewer…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 25, 2014
You'd be much better off contacting a plumbing service to give you the regulations. That way you can get an estimate at the same time. I know that there have been a lot of code updates since 1979 though. Good luck on bringing everything up to standards. http://www.bcpsi.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 31, 2014
To anyone with knowledge of Kings Point in Sun City Center specifically, are there particular time frames (to do with when the plumbing and electrical products were first used and when no longer used) such that anything built earlier or later than that time frame in Kings Point should not have the type of plumbing or electric panel that an insurance company would want replaced?

Is this work that requires a permit such that a prospective buyer could check county records to see if the unit(s) sharing the same building as the unit on sale have done the replacements?

Also, I've seen listings in Kings Point that state that windows have been replaced. Is this also related to insurance requirements or just an unrelated upgrade some owners are choosing to do?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2014
You need to have an inspector come and look at your plumbing and electrical to tell you what you need to update. You can always list the property but just make sure you disclose all the problems you know about.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 12, 2013
Yeah, I agree that an inspector would be a good idea. If they check it off, you should be good to go. Make sure they check your plumbing really good, because you wouldn't want problems later. http://www.advancedplumbing.ca/services.html
Flag Mon Jul 21, 2014
Believe it or not, a bigger problem that the local codes might be the buyer's mortgage company. Over the years I've seen many homes with fuse boxes and 60 amp electric service and the bank wouldn't finance the purchase without an upgrade. I would call the local building department to see if there are any updates required.

Don Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
Douglas Elliman Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 26, 2013
The building department is a good idea. I'd also recommend having a licensed electrician come out and look at your fuse box. If there's a problem with it, then it definitely has to be replaced. If it's still working safely, then I don't think there's a problem. | http://www.mid-cityelectric.net
Flag Tue Feb 24, 2015
None. There is no requirement to update a home to any new building codes before selling.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 26, 2013
This is the simplest answer. Whatever plumbing or electrical upgrades you make will shorten your time on the market and possibly give you a higher profit margin, but they're not required. It's a good idea to consult with a professional about the best upgrades to make before going ahead with anything. http://www.davidsonsairandheat.com
Flag Thu Mar 5, 2015
I hired someone who does plumbing in North York to come out and check everything before I put the house on the market. They were able to tell me what needed to be done and what was fine. It's a good option!
Web Reference: http://www.aalertdrain.ca
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 26, 2013
Kings Point and SCC is my specialty. I live here and know this unique community well. Judie@sccteam.com 230-3505. There are great inspectors who live here and know what to look for here. Contact an insurance agent about this also. Listen to what they say.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
I agree it is best to have it done up front and show good faith. Also then you are not negotiating the offer down. This is not a code violation. It relates to insurability. Inform your sellers of potential insurance issues and have them decide how to move forward.

For those without money buyer can negotiate that this will be done and paid from closing funds or shared at closing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
I agree with Realtor Doreen that it's best to make the necessary repairs to be able to sell for a higher "retail" price rather than "as is" at a lower price to an ALL CASH buyer. Sometimes Sellers may not have the funds to update so in that case you can still sell at a "retail" price to a buyer getting a renovation mortgage.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
I would recommend all code violations to be addressed and corrected before putting your home on the market. It shows good faith, gets you better offers and smoother transaction.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
You can probably sell to an ALL CASH buyer in the crazy market we are experiencing right now.

With a CASH buyer you can sell any property "as is".

Otherwise normally a house doesn't have to be brought up to current codes unless the buyer's insurer or lender requires it.

A buyer can also pay those costs with a Renovation mortgage, FHA 203K or HomeStyle mortgage.

All the best,
Alma Kee
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
this assums your property complies with FHA 1/2 the properties in my area do not qualify for FHA only cash or conventional.
Flag Wed Feb 6, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer