Home Selling in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Kelly, Home Seller in Pittsburgh, PA

What kind of water heater should we install in our home?

Asked by Kelly, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Mar 15, 2010

We are going to put our city home on the market soon and the water heater is very old. Is there a preference among buyers as to what type they would prefer (conventional or tank less)? Would it help our home sell if we put in the more expensive tank less or do buyers not care, as long as there is a new conventional model?

Hi Kelly
Depending on the size of the home and the number of bathrooms, buyers may care more if it's a 50 or 75 gallon unit, versus a 40 gallon unit.

The tankless part won't be a concern.

Kelly - You'll probably get a better return on your investment if you go with a conventional model. I don't think buyers will particularly care too much as long as the unit is newer.
Web Reference: http://www.eathompson.com
My personal experience would tell me that buyer's don't care too much... I guess this depends on the price range your home falls into though... if it's a higher priced home, then you probably want to spend some money on a system to match your home's value.
If I was selling my house and going to replace the water heater I would simply buy a nice new relatively cheap model that consumer reports gives a high rating to. As long as it is relatively energy efficient and has good insulation placed around the tank (take the hint) most buyers should not mind it.

If you spend extra for tankless sellers may like it, but will not pay extra. I do not expect to find a tankless water heater in a house I buy and unless you are extremely top end I doubt most other buyers would either.
Hi Kelly,
Thank you for inquiring via Trulia. Since I am not a hot water expert, I would recommend that you shop around for the most cost efficient conventional water heater that you could purchase. Buyers today seem to prefer the conventional unit vs the tank less. Another important item is that the unit is large enough for all use, ie; bathing for x number of people, washing clothes and a diswasher.
I hope that this is helpful to you. If you are in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area, I would be more than happy to list your property for sale. Please feel free to give me a call at 412-521-5100x133 Northwood Realty Services.
I have been in the real estate business for 21 years and would like to make you another "happy seller."
Thank you, Pam McIver

As you are selling, I would not put the money into a tankless hot water heater. Although they are very energy efficient, and "green", the payback for the up front expense would be at least 10 years. Likewise you will find that most buyers will think it is "nice", but you will never see a dollar for dollar increase in your sales price versus this investment. I like AOSmith, or Rheem in terms of brand names. You may consider a 50 gallon or larger if your home is 3-5 BR's. You may also want to consider a direct vent, versus venting it thru an old chimney if that is your situation today. It will function in a more energy efficient manner, and will not cause problems with an older chimney over time. Good luck with your purchase, and if you need a good agent to list your home, do not hesitate to call us at 412.716.8634.

-Jill Stehnach
That would be a personal choice for the buyer, I would think. My personal feelings would be to put in a tankless water heater. This way it would be a selling point on saving energy, etc. I would also use the statements from the site of the heater manufacturer (and make sure the people KNOW that the statement is from them, not you) so that they can see the kind of savings they would see.

You could also allow the buyer to make the decision themselves and say that you'll put in up to "x" dollars towards a new water heater. You could have the amount held in escrow until they get the bill/receipt from the installer of the unit. This way, they can't say that they spent more than what was actually spent.

And the amount you would "give" would be up to you. See what the prices are for good tank heaters and perhaps put a price just above that. Let them decide. See what your Realtor says as well.

Terrence Charest, e-Pro