Home Selling in Fairhope>Question Details

Noah Funderb…, Home Owner in Fairhope, AL

What is the typical fee paid to a realtor who brings you a buyer for your home?

Asked by Noah Funderburg, Fairhope, AL Mon Mar 3, 2014

Answers

9
There really is no "typical" fee, regardless of your location.

Ask them what their fee is, and recognize that it's negotiable. That doesn't mean that every agent is wiling to negotiate their fee. Some agents value their time (and their buyer) higher than others... but that doesn't mean you can't try.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 3, 2014
And, of course, there are those responses above that seem to think there ARE typical fees! What can you do......I guess ya keep trying!
Hope all is well with you!
Flag Mon Mar 3, 2014
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Depending on the price of the property, we usually ask 4% when doing a one-time-showing agreement to bring a buyer to a FSBO. However, this is not to say that this is a "typical" fee.

Would you give me a call and give me the address for your home so I can come see it? I have done several deals this way if I've had a good reason to believe a property would be a good match for serious buyers. I then only ask for the OTS contract when a date is being set for the showing and names are put on the agreement.
In California, the typical fee is about 5% however I have seen lower in competitive markets (which we are in right now) and higher depending on the type of sale. If you are looking to sell please give me a call as I have a very competitive commission structure. thank you !

http://www.whatsmyhomevaluela.com

http://www.roylhanie.com

818.642.3449
The main starting point is splitting a 6% commission 50/50.
The Listing Agreement that is signed by the Seller and Listing Agent will specify that percentage. The total is generally 6-7% of the final sales price. Each "side" then typically splits it 50/50. Of course the agent only personally receives a portion of that split since they once again split it with their Broker/office.
It depends on which state you live in & depends on how the home is listed!
Although there is a range of fees paid to brokers for the sale of a home, there are some slight variances that may occur. On average the total commission paid is between 5-7% which is then split equally between the listing agent and the selling agent. However, in some instances, there are some listing agents that will pay members of the mls exactly half. If you are not a member they may give less than 50%, it just depends on the agent or REALTOR listing the property.
This can be location specific as far as percentage. However, if the home was listed with another agent or is for sale by owner the agent brining the buyer should receive the same compensation.
Exactly the same as what the typical listing agent would charge.