Dennis, Home Buyer in Gresham - Rockwood,...

What is the point of having so many of these properties for sale on trulia without disclosing the addresses?

Asked by Dennis, Gresham - Rockwood, Gresham, OR Mon Nov 22, 2010

When I see a property on trulia, I assume someone wants to sell it. Am I correct on that? However, when one comes up like this that says "address not disclosed" and I'm unable to see it on a map, I just move on. So I don't get it. I know I'm not the only one that does this. To me, it shows a certain amount of arrogance - I hate to waste my time and I hate to waste other people's time. I like to get an address, go look at it if it looks good on google map and then go from there. So please, can't you please stop playing this game, whatever it is, and quit hiding addresses?

Answers

2
Keep in mind that for privacy reasons, not all sellers wish to show their address outside MLS, therefore not necessarily an agent's fault for not posting the location--if you are looking to buy, consider working with an agent of your own--he/she can provide you with any information you may need.
Hi Dennis,
I understand your frustration, as you would like to know the addresses of all properties for sale. It helps so that you can make an informed decision. Most of the properties posted on Trulia are actually pulled from local Multiple Listing Services (MLS) through and IDX feed that Trulia has paid for and has signed a contractual agreement to use said data in compliance with the MLS rules. Some agents when listing property are instructed by their sellers to not disclose the address of their property on public internet sites, as they do not want public knowledge of that fact that their home is for sale (it might be vacant, and they are trying to avoid break ins, they may not want to have solicitation or junk mail sent to their property from services that scrape these addresses, etc.). Whatever the case may be, it is the seller's decision, not decision of Trulia or the Brokerage that has the listing.

When I list a property and enter it into the MLS, I have a box to check that does not allow the address of the property to be displayed on public IDX feeds sent out from the MLS. If my seller wishes for this to be checked, they sign a document stating to this fact, and then I check the box. The address is still available to Realtors when they login to the MLS, as these Realtors have signed an agreement with the local MLS, pay for access, and have a code of ethics that they adhere to.

If you are interested in seeing all properties available for sale in a given area, it would be a good idea to develop a relationship with a local real estate professional who has access to the addresses. There are many benefits to working with someone who helps people purchase property in a given area, and it will likely cost you nothing to work with them, as commissions are customarily paid for by the seller.

Best of luck to you, and I hope this answer helps shed some light on why it is not a game that is being played, but is in fact the right of the party selling the property to not have certain information publicly available on the interwebs.