Question Details

Tas, Other/Just Looking in Anywher

What is the most popular style of house?

Asked by Tas, Anywher Wed Jul 18, 2007

Does one particular style of home sell faster or easier than others?

Answers

9
In Juno, Igloos are popular.
Just kidding, in Ohio, Colonials are king.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2007
Tas, I'll share with you the advice we got when we bought our first home.
Three bedroom two bath...even if you don't need.
You know what? They were right!
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
It really is going to depend on your geographical location. I’m a Realtor in both Southern California and in Dallas, TX. These are two very different locations with different styles of homes. The trend I am seeing in both locations is the popularity of a one-story. More people are retiring and don’t want to climb stairs. In California the hot house style is mid-century modernism, in Texas it’s more old-world Tuscan. If a one story is not popular where you live or hard to find, then I would say the important factors are the Master Bedroom downstairs, an open floor plan, and windows; letting the inside in.
Web Reference: http://www.DfwHomeLink.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2007
In the Atlanta metro area, the brick-front traditional 2-story is the most prominent (although most buyers prefer 3 or 4-sided brick with a basement). Does one particular home sell faster or easier than others? Without a doubt, I believe that a ranch style home on a full basement does sell faster in the Atlanta market. Why? Because of several reasons: (1) They are harder to come by (i.e. demand often exceeds supply); (2) the aging of the population (more & more people want to get rid of stairs in preparation for retirement years); (3) the footprint of the ranch home typically requires more "elbow room" between adjacent homes (that's why they are frequently constructed on cul-de-sac lots); and (4) during initial consultations with a new buyer client, they almost always express their desire for me to find them a home with a basement if it's within their price range (gotta have a place to store all of our junk, right?).
Web Reference: http://MyGeorgiaHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2007
TED SHOOP, Real Estate Pro in Buford, GA
In the Delaware area a Colonial is probably the most popular, then ranches and capes. First floor living has become important with baby boomers.
The biggest resale issue I see is when a home doesn't have enough bathrooms. At least 2 is considered a necessity with a family. Linette Carroll - Wilmington, Delaware
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2007
This varies according the the area of the country. In this area of the New Jersey shore, the most popular is probably the center hall colonial. Contemporary homes, splits, and bi-levels sell a bit slower than shore colonials and capes. I am sure it is different in other areas of the country.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group, Inc.
New Jersey
(732) 530-7755
Web Reference: http://PeninsulaFirst.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 18, 2007
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Hi Tas: I think this answer will vary from location to location. In my community, Colonials are the most desirable; followed by capes (although many buyers think this style of home has a lot of wasted space on the 2nd floor and don’t like the slants in the ceilings) Raised Ranches would be the least desirable floor plan. Ranches are most attractive to Baby Boomers or retirees, as they desire a one-level floor plan.
I think Keith's answer is the best. I HATE ranches. I have no interest in new construction. I love the early 1900's Chicago Brick Bungalows or stucco American four squares. I just could not understand how a buyer interested in our cute 1920s home could end up buying a 1960s ranch? To some people style doesn't matter at ALL. To those that style does matter, it is in the eye of the beholder.
Ruth
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! However, I have found the Cape Cod seems to have the most appeal to buyers as far as curb appeal goes. Of course, once you dig deeper and discover the needs of the homebuyer then that determines what style homes to look for. If there are young children, mom and dad usually don't want a first floor master. If there are older children or possibly a mother in law then a finished basement works great. Young single professionals and empty nesters love condo living.
It's never a simple answer.
Web Reference: http://www.amywengerd.com