Home Selling in Key West>Question Details

Maya Thomas…, Real Estate Pro in Key West, FL

What is the most important quality in a real estate agent?

Asked by Maya Thomas LLC, Key West, FL Wed Mar 3, 2010

Answers

68
I kept reading this thread and never had a real answer to give. I am not really sure how to define a reply.

I did behave myself and not reply... cute, single, and desperate...

I liked the best answer it really sums up anything that could be asked for.
Woo Hoo! Not only did a nonagent chime in but its one I have the utmost respect for.
I absolutely agree with you Rock.
Of course I think the Golden Rule should be applied to everybody.
I tell this to my kids everyday.
What a better place this world would be...
There's a lot of great answers below and I don't want to take away from that but I wish the general public would chime in when a question like this is asked because I think I would learn a lot more from them regarding expectations and what THEY feel is important than I do from fellow agents.
Any nonagents out there willing to answer this question?
Maya,

The most important quality in a successful real estate agent, in our opinion, is determination. There are constant new obsticles that block the path to success that successful agents are not phased by. The determination and commitment they possess helps them find their way to the top.

Maya, thank you for the reply & support. Send your referrals our way & we'll do the same. Lookin' forward to surfin' your website. SEE Lynn's TEAM ADVANTAGE at http://www.LynnJohnsonRealty.com

'on the hunt'
Lynn
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 12, 2010
Honesty
All the other 'bases' will be covered if you begin with HONESTY....
If an agent has HONESTY 'integrity' & 'ethics' undoubtedly will follow....
If an agent has INTEGRITY & ETHICS undoubtedly 'knowledge' will follow....
If an agent has KNOWLEDGE undoubtedly 'experience' & 'expertise' will follow....
If an agent has EXPERIENCE undoubtedly a 'passion' for real estate has evolved....
If an agent has PASSION undoubtedly 'success' will follow.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 11, 2010
Hi Maya, That is a great questions. Sorry It is hard to choose the most important quality, but here are some of the Values our team follows as well as our firm Intero Real Estate. Honesty, Integrity, Knowledge, Experience, Compassion, Empathy, Teamwork, Loyalty and Professionalism. If I was to choose one, it would have to come down to honesty, because without it as your foundation, all other core values are insignificant.

Good luck, hope you are keeping busy in Key West :-)

Eric & Janelle Boyenga
Boyenga Team
Intero Real Estate
http://www.Boyenga.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 11, 2010
Honesty, Knowledge and Communication
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 11, 2010
If you only take one quality, I would have to say integrity. This is something that is really vital and transcends that agents life (in every aspect). I think that integrity gives your buyers, sellers, peers and anyone else in your S.O.I. a certain confidence and trust in you. It also should maintain a healthy checks & balances system within yourself. In turn, cause you to do the right thing, to invest in people and not just look for a paycheck.

There has been a lot of great feedback, but this is just my opinion. I always want to be around people with great integrity, because anything else leaves you filled with a loss of confidence and trust in that particular person. If that is the case, you will have issues in every aspect of your life, including longevity as a real estate agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 9, 2010
I know this is going to sound all Pollyanna, but at least here in Seattle, the overwhelming majority of agents I come into contact with are honest, ethical, knowledgeable, represent their clients with integrity, and seem to listen pretty darned well.

In fact, it's remarkable when someone -isn't- that way, or at least gives me that impression.

Of course, you have newbies who may have more enthusiasm than knowledge, but there's a place for that, as well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 3, 2010
Good job on the BA rockinblu:) I couldn't agree more. Area knowledge is 1 quality however certainly not the best as we've all seen the Mr/Ms Know it all who is terrible with people & possibly narcissist. All the combinations below are definitely needed to get the job done!

I'd like to throw another in although it can't be up for BA vote...but goes hand in hand with the golden rule. Always remember what goes around comes around.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 3, 2010
The ability to tell the client what they "need" to hear vs. what they "want" to hear, which boils down to good communication skills.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 3, 2010
HONESTY - HONESTY - and HONESTY.

Without honesty and integrity - there is no foundation for success.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 3, 2010
Honesty, integrity and the ability to communicate. Honesty and integrity provide the framework for professionalism. The ability to communicate is the difference between success and mediocrity. Communication means listening more than speaking.
Bringing real benefit to your client.
Boyenga Team, I love your answer too! Lots of heart and dedication went into your beautiful answer. It's easy to see you love what you do and love to provide exceptional service to your clients. Very inspirational!
I LOVE your answer Lynn! Your answer shows your passion, experience, knowledge, integrity and ethics. You are the agent I would want to work with if I was in Rockport Texas!
I would say you should be looking for someone who listens to what it is you are planning without constantly interupting you. There is this gross misconception that salespeople must be talkative, but you cannot learn anything by talking, whereas the amount you can learn by listening attentively is astounding.

Someone who asks pertinant follow-up questions once he understands what you are planning is indicative of someone who is evaluating how he can best help you achieve your goals.

I have met some exceptional salespeople during my 30 years in business, some have been around the block a few times over, and some were relatively new. But both types had one thing in common, and that is enthusiasm about their work.

These would be the things I would want in my agent. I wish you luck in selecting the right one for you!
I don’t think there is a single most important quality but actually a lot of qualities an agent must possess to not only be financially successful but as importantly meet the expectation of all their individual clients...
I'd say honestly for sure! If an agent is dishonest repeat business will not come back his/her way.
Passion. I believe to be successful in anything you must have a passion for it. Once you have that passion, you want to be the best at it. Care for it, understand all it's aspects, and continue to strive to always get better at it.
Expertise, diligence, knowledge and great positive attitude. The Agent should be on a mission not on the job.
Putting your clients interests first.
The most important quality in a real estate agent is knowledge of the area that you are working in.
Listening to the client's needs and communication are both vital for a successful transaction. What's important to my buyers or sellers are important to me. I work diligently to make sure those needs are met.

Buying or selling a home can be very stressful. I have found that I can ease that stress by keeping in constant communication with my clients.

My experience, marketing and technology follow. With these key qualities, my clients come back or refer clients to me. Referrals and repeat business are the essence of my success. It speaks volumes to my prospective buyers and sellers to know that they are working with a Realtor whose friend or family received high quality service!
This is not an easy question to answer. There are so many facets that make the agent ... technology, knowledge, the ability to listen, honesty, integrity, personality, and especially an insatiable desire to see others succeed in their lives. The list goes on an on and so could I. So I suppose the best answer to your question is the most important quality in a real estate agent is .... Quality!
Web Reference: http://www.bjschenck.com
The best real estate agent has combined two characteristics - competence and care - into the perfect blend of both. Care without competence - who cares? Competence without caring - useless. Both in balance - Priceless! Agents need to know the right answers to their clients' questions and needs. Cleints' must be able to trust the guidance of their agent; however, the complex needs of a family on the move must be kept at the forefront at all times so that they feel (the operative word) that their agent always has their best interests at heart.
Diito. Honesty, hard work, and ALWAYS putting their clients best interest first.
Honesty and Integrity and knowledge.
Knowledge about their local markets and the integrity to follow the laws of their State. I believe a Realtor must always remember: I am working for my Clients...NOT myself.
Honesty and dependability!
Integrity and honesty but dependability and loyalty also rank very high.
Integrity is the most important. Add to that honesty , ability to listen to others , knowledge and professionalism.,
Honesty is a base line. Knowledge or the ability to find it for your client is what makes a good agent great. Hard work is understood.
The most importand quality of a Real Estate agent is the ability to not only listen, but to hear what the client's needs are, then with experience, intelligence and compassion iterpret those needs.
Honesty, Integrity, knowledge, experience and communication skills all make up a great Realtor. This is a wonderful profession!

Connie Smith
Broker Associate
Keller Williams Executives Realty
303-842-9431
To have the ability to recognize and leverage their strengths and the drive to improve on areas of weakness. The previous answers encompass the basic qualities or characteristics that bring value to an agent. Most locations require an agent have the skills to deal with a variety of people (customers/clients) with all different backgrounds and aptitudes. The ability to deal effectively with a very diverse group is key to our overall success.
Hi Maya,

Honesty, and then experience and ability. Salesmanship! The ability to listen to needs, identify problems and solve them.

Good question,

Karen
Clients should hire a good listener, a knowlegeable advisor and a strong negotiator to represent their interests.
Shirley Syfert
Blue Bell, PA
.
In this market, the most important quality is knowledge of the market/laws of real estate and people skills - and the ability to work under tremendous stress while maintaining composure and professionalism and keeping everyone happy and the buyers and sellers protected - from the short sale seller who demands a 90 day post occupancy (or he refuses to sell) to the many personalities and layers of the REO transaction - buyers forced to close with title companies they don't know and the staff working for these companies to Homeowner's Associations and Condo Associations and their staff and management companies. . .not to mention other real estate agents who try to make their own rules with no knowledge of the laws. . . there is tremendous stress and pressure from all angles these days, but with patience, perserverance, and KNOWLEDGE, everyone can win in the end =)

Diana Tonova
Realtor Associate
Express Florida Realty, Inc.

http://www.southfloridacoastalhomes.com
http://www.expressfloridarealty.com
diana@expressfloridarealty.com
That will greatly depend on you.....

You can find the most honest, informative and helpfull agent out there who takes 4 months to sell your home. Or, you can find a real pain of an agent who also happens to sell your home in 2 weeks.

Aside from personality and who you mesh with best, unless you are looking for a new friend for life, I would first look at results. Then compare the top 3 and see who you fit with best.
Integrity is the most important quality in a Real Estate agent,as well any other profession.To me it is a basic human attribute either you have or you don't.As a professional agent as well as yoga instructor there are my principles I adhere too.You either work for the people or the $$..I'm a people person.
Meryl Schneider
Integrity. The next would be market knowledge and experience.
Honesty and knowledge. Being a great listener.
Integrity - defined as "adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty" - that includes treating all people with respect and caring - and following through until the job is done!
I believe it is honesty combined with persuasiveness. You have to be able to bring parties together ethically and honestly while coaxing them to not give up and keep the goal in sight.
Maya,
Great question! I believe all real estate agents should be ethical, knowledgeable, and passionate about their careers. While the first two are a must in my book, I believe your desire to serve others is what truly separates the classes of real estate agents. I would love to hear your take on this question.

Michelle Doscher
Web Reference: http://michelledoscher.mobi
Maya,

Michelle Doscher
Market knowledge, professionalism and most importantly, integrity.
Truthfulness and honesty! Knowing when to say you don';t know but you will find out.
Web Reference: http://www.VandekarTeam.com
1 2