Home Selling in New Jersey>Question Details

Homeowner, Home Seller in New Jersey

What is the full disclosure law in NJ for seller's?

Asked by Homeowner, New Jersey Thu Oct 29, 2009

Is a seller required to provide all documentation on all things in a house? If a failed contract brought up an issue which was subsequently proven false by three experts, do we have to disclose this? When must we disclose; during attorney review or home inspection?

New Jersey's Seller's Disclosure Form is optional. It is not required by law. You don't state what issue caused the problem. If it has anything to do with an inspection, I would recommend you getting your own home inspection and making the report available to potential buyers.

I always recommend the seller offer full disclosure. If a buyer or buyer's agent feels you're hiding something, it's unlikely they'll want to deal with you.

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Realty - Atlantic Shore
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 30, 2009
Hi Homeowner
Generally, when taking a listing, we give the seller a multi-page sellers disclosure form. That is the place to disclose any, and everything you know about the home. If anything isn't working right, the best thing is to state it then, on that form.

If you have knowledge, due to a cancelled previous contract, of a problem, you should absolutely disclose it right from the start. It's too late to disclose after a contract has been signed, and you are in the attorney review period or during the inspection

Now............in regard to the issue you say was proven false by 3 experts...........that is your call.........however, .since I don't know what the specific issue was........if this is something that is still open to interpretation, I would still state it, and show the proof you have that the issue is a "non-issue".

The best advice I can give is...................When in doubt........disclose!!

Hope this helps
Best wishes.
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties