**..then you should consider the other side of negications when it comes to an offer on your home will they be strong enought to hold the ground on price..** .l.o.l..
Thats a poor analogy .. discounted rates might also mean they're in competition with 150 other realtors in their immediate area, and another 200 agents looking for a job...
Let's not get carried away .. feeding their family and paying their bills can make for one large priority in any agents life - and at the same time doing twice the job.... look around ..
There is no current rate ... it's all very negotiable..
Some might try starting out at 6%, some offices "might" try starting out at 5.5% ... you're going to be interviewing 4 or 5 agents anyway, see what their fee is - and tell them what you'll pay.
It's been a long and cold winter for most realtors with very few escrows and even less closings, so how they split the money has nothing to do with you .. some are doing 3 to 4% and some are doing flat fee's - so shop.
Brokers are much like car dealers .. the dealer down the street might want $20,000 .. but 4 calls and 12 miles later you found the same car with the same options for $18,000 ... so shop.
Typically discount brokers will provide a different level of services provided by a full service provider. It's the old cliche: " You get what you pay for."
Here in Southern Ohio commission rates appear to run anywhere from 3.9% to 7% depending on the services provided.
Often the service fee or commission rate is associated with the level of service provided by a particular broker. For example, a so-called "discount" or flat-fee broker may provide a different level of service than a full-service broker, and the associated fee will be reflective of that.
As a seller, determine the level of service that is important to you, and then determine whether the broker in question provides the level of service commensurate with the fee that you negotiate.
I think that you might want to consider this question:
How can I put the most money in my pocket when I sell my home? Which is more important to you: the commission percentage or the dollars you put in the bank?
My experience is that market level services-knowledge of the market, negotiating expertise, great marketing, including property price, location, and condition, will produce the best price for the seller. I suggest that you interview some Realtors, including full fee and discount brokers, and see what happens. I will tell you I answered a Trulia post just two days ago, they hired a discount broker and were in real hot water. That is not to say that is always the case, however you, as the owner, need to make the call.
There is really no set commission rate. All offices can charge whatever they require.
I personally charge 3.9% total commission. (which by the way includes a FULL marketing program, we are not a discount brokerage!) You should always pay out at least 2.5% to the selling agent, as I do. 2.5% goes to the selling agent, and I keep 1.4%, total 3.9%. If you need some help, or have any questions, please feel free to visit my website.