Stefan, Home Seller in Mercersburg, PA

What is the best way to get traffic (buyers) to your house that you are trying to sell, in these tough times?

Asked by Stefan, Mercersburg, PA Mon Sep 8, 2008

House located in neighborhood placed in the countryside. 20 min to larger city (Hagerstown, Md).

Answers

9
Stefan
in almost any market the 80/20 rule applies. Homes that are the best values will sell first. Twenty percent will sell in the first 30 days closest to asking price. IN my MLS it's 100.8% of asking price. At 120 days it's 93.6% of asking price.

So the best thing you can do is make the buyers see the value, and that is your Realtor's job. To help you know what to do to maximize your value. Cleaning, painting, de-clutter, de-personalizing, staging, and professional photos all go together, with the right list price, to get your home sold for top dollar.

If you need a referral to a top Realtor in your area I have one for you to interview.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 8, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Stefan,
Do you have a real estate agent working for you. I know that I will keep getting the eyes rolled at me for asking that question, but think about it:: Where do buyers look when they are searching for a house??

Where the most houses are listed! right? Where is that? The MLS.!

Yes, if I am looking for a house to buy, I am ging to look at the For-sale-by-owner properties, and the local newspaper, and see if there are any postings at the local supermarket or hardware store. BUt FOR SURE I am going to look at what is available thru the local MLS, that is the neighborhood real estate agent. Wouldn't you? tha ti s where the lions share of properties are listed and that is where buyers FIND AND BUY the lions share of properties that they buy. (That is a statistical fact, not just wishful thinking on my part.)

That being said, a good agent will see that your property is displayed to advantage in a number of venues, whether 'Homes' magazines and online search engines (most of which feed directly off a Multiple-listing-system / MLS), yard signs or local newspaper ads. All of these exposures MAY lead to a prospective buyer seeing your house and then choosing to make you an offer to purchase.

It really still is a numbers game-expose the property to the greatest # of potential buyers! So why would you limit the largest contributing factor of your 'numbers game?'
Hope that helps
Mim
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 8, 2008
Stefan,

We would like to add one important item to Terrence's list. This item is possibly the most important.....visibility. You could be giving your home away.....but if no one knew about it, there would be no takers.

Visibility includes a vast internet presence, both local and out of the area print advertising, magazine & newspaper ads, company visibility, agent promotions etc. etc. The visibility also includes both a top agent and a top company presence.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 8, 2008
Stefan,

All the answers you received are top notch ! If you need a experence professional to help you put all these suggestions in to action, Please feel free to contact me at 814-617-0848 or email mrtnt123@yahoo.com, I will be happy to help you !
Your house needs to be priced right, look better than its competition, and be marketed effectively. Most buyers start their home search online, so make sure the photos posted on the MLS show your house at its best. That means clean, clutter free, neutral, updated and great curb appeal.Good luck!
The best way is a trusted and knowledgable realtor in your area who has access to get your house in front of every realtor in the Multiple Listing Service and can give you an up to date value on your home. Then can iniate an aggressive marketing plan for you. They should be able to get you the best selling price in the quickest amount of time. Good luck with the sale stefan
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Marketing, presentation, good pictures, authored statements, incentives, curb appeal,
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
1- Price: If it isn't priced right, nobody will show up.
2- Curb Appeal: It it doesn't look nice from the outside, nobody will want to see the inside.
3- Staged right: If the home isn't decluttered, depersonnalized or not looking good, they won't put in an offer.
4- Incentives: These days, you will need as much incentives as possible. (ie Closing cost assistance, free priemium cable/internet service for a year, etc)

First, make sure the home is priced properly. No amount of advertising will bring buyers to an overpriced home. Second, tons of internet marketing - including an enhanced listing on realtor.com with multiple pictures. Make sure the pictures are good and show the home in a positive way. Also, some buyers still come off the sign. Make sure you have a sign they can read and if you are listed, make sure it is with a company that has a sign that is recognized.