Home Selling in Raleigh>Question Details

Trulia Ralei…, Other/Just Looking in Raleigh, NC

What is the best recourse if you're unsatisfied with your listing's photos?

Asked by Trulia Raleigh, Raleigh, NC Wed Apr 10, 2013

Answers

11
Krista Abshure’s answer
I recommend letting your listing agent know that you are not satisfied and ask them to be retaken. Explain what it is that makes you unhappy with them so that they can address it with the new photos.
I agree with the other agents comments here as well. The photos posted on the Internet are a potential buyers "first visit" to your home and it is vital that the pictures leave them wanting to see more so they will then schedule a second "actual visit."
So many great answers. I love the Virtual tours. Ask your agent to look into creating a Virtual tour with the pictures you both decide on, it will give your listing a bit more sparkle. I would also have many more pictures of the features in your home that stand out and may attract more buyers. For example, I know many agents that don't like to put bathroom pictures in their listings, but, if you have a beautifully tiled bath or a nice picture window etc. I would definetely get those pictures in. Have your Realtor take new pictures or take them yourself. Either way you both should look through the pictures and decide which ones will be posted on the MLS
As a buyer, I love having every room in the VT or in photos. The more photos, the better! So much of house shopping is online now that it becomes really easy to begin the whole buyer-visualization process with a good VT or a lot of photos from different angles. I love having multiple angles on the same LR/kitchen, for example.

If the listing agent doesn't want to put up too many photos, you can always put up the best 10-12 that show all the rooms in a house and then add more angles to the VT. I can tell you that as a buyer, I'm leery of any listing that omits photos of bedrooms and baths. It makes me wonder what's wrong with those rooms. So long as they're clean and well-kept, I want to see 'em. If they're not, you've got a larger problem than photos. :)
Flag Sat Jun 1, 2013
Hire a professional photographer:

http://grephotography.com

Buyers use on line photos as their first showing and decide which of many properties to see in person based on what they see on line. Sellers go online to see how agents they are considering listing with present their current listings before contacting them. The top agents who actually sell most properties generally realize this and use professional photographers. Most other agents don't have the skill or equipment to take consistently good photos, but will convince themselves what they produce is "good enough". I realized how important photos would be to marketing real estate in the internet age a number of years ago and invested in the equipment and training to become a professional real estate and architectural photographer both for my listings and for other agents, builders, etc. It makes a huge difference.
This is not an unusual experience but one that is a true test of the communication level between the customer and their agent. As a customer, in a relationship with an agent one of the very first appreciations should be establishing a dialogue in which you communicate openly and often.

Making your agent aware of your displeasure with the photos would go a long way in getting the problem corrected....

This is what seperates a listing agent from a "GOOD" listing Agent. A good agent will take good pictures from all angles and show the home in the best light. A not so good agent will take maybe 1 picture or even send an assistant to do what could be the most important task in listing a home.
They should always be approved byt he seller before posted anywhere.

Chris
As stated in prior answers, a subject to be discussed with your listing agent. I typically take my own pictures and ask my client to review the MLS listing to make sure all aspects of the listing, including comments are to their satisfaction. Sometimes a listing demands a better camera/lens than I have and I hire a professional to take the photos. This should NOT be an issue with any good Realtor.
Change them!
You can even take pictures yourself and send the ones you like to your agent to put in MLS!
Photos are most certainly important. Definitely contact your listing agent and kindly ask them what you need to do to get better photos.
Your listing agent. Ask for new photos.

I take.30.to 40the photos for my listings. Them go through those.photos.with.the.homes.owner and.pick the best ones.

Now hopefuly the photos were not taken with cell phone or tablet.

IMO.only a high resolution camera will do.

You should communicate that information to your listing agent immediately. It is their job to market your home and take and distribute the best pictures of your property possible. Photography is not everyone's forte, and you may want to discuss hiring in a professional photographer if this is a service you would prefer. Either way you should give your feedback to your agent as far as what you are unsatisfied with regarding the current photos so they can be improved upon as soon as possible. You should feel comfortable discussing these things with your agent, as open communication is essential for your satisfaction in selling your home. Also, time is money and getting your property properly marketed to help it sell faster should be everyone's mutual goal. I know I spend hours and hours taking plenty of pictures and then selecting the best shots that allow the viewer to picture daily life in the home.