M K, Both Buyer and Seller in Newton, MA

What is the best day to put property on MLS ?

Asked by M K, Newton, MA Thu Oct 21, 2010

Assuming the first open house will be on Sunday after property is listed what is a good day of the week to list the property on MLS?
I assume for your first open house you want the property to have the least number of days on MLS. At the same time you want to give buyers enough time to view the listing.

Answers

15
Jeanne Feenick (908) 337-0943’s answer
Hi Maksim, you certainly get around, I'm now answering a third question for you - glad you are finding Trulia useful!

I would not get too hung up on whether your property is 1 or 3 days on the market at the time of a first Open House. Days on the market has a drag effect in a declining market as it builds, but that is not an issue in the first few weeks.

What I think is more relevent is your readiness - let me be more clear. When I load a listing into the MLS, I am ready, with details AND photos. Loading the skeleton of a listing in is a blunder in my view because you miss the opportunity to have a big impact with folks set up on auto email services. New listings will feed out to them automatically in the night, and so they will see the skeleton listing rather than the robust listing with photos....opportunity missed.

Another consideration is to get your listing in early in a day so that it hits the MLS "hot sheets" during the agents work day - agents tend to look at the beginning of their day and periodically throughout.

So be ready, load in a robust listing WITH photos - quality and quantity count - and try to get your listing in as early in the day as possible.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Hi Debbie

I would actually want to expand a little on my answer to your comment.

1. Your count is a little off - I have asked 7 questions so far not 14.
2. Is there a limit on Trulia on how many questions you can ask? (That would be my 8th)
3. My questions are not directed stricty to agents.
4. Most questions I ask are to confirm my understanding of the process. I am not new to
real estate. I bought twice without realtors and am also an investor.
5. Answering my questions is completely optional
6. I do understand the value of having an agent. However, I would consider working with the agent
on helping me with investment properties in the future.
7. I think home owners should be asking lots of questions regardless of the decision to go FSBO or hire an agent.
Everybody should simply understand the process. If you don't understand the process - then you will
a. not know if you need a help of a realtor
b. not know how to compare realtors
c. not know if you are on the right track in the process
8. As far as my question about MLS I do have my own opinion and will list when I am ready.
However, I was interested to hear other opinions in the Trulia community.

Thanks to all who have participated in the discussions I started.

Maksim
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 23, 2010
Saying "Thanks" does not justify your condescending attitude. You are lucky that these professionals are willing to share the tools of their trade with you!
Flag Thu Mar 20, 2014
Any day is a great day to list :), but I prefer Monday's.
Monday is the beginning of the week when people sit down to read any new properites via email.
Also it gives realtors a full week to notify buyers of the open house and to circulate on the internet.
Sharon Lucido
Web Reference: http://www.bournetosell.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
Wednesday. It takes 2 days for the world to find out that your house is for sale by the time your listing hits all the websites we post your listing on. So for the weekend, you will be ready for the onslaught of interested buyers!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
Hi Debbie

Jeanne - thanks for your 3rd answer :)

Debbie - yes, I do appreciate all the answers.

Maksim
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 23, 2010
Maksim

You've asked 14 questions regarding selling your home - since you are already promoting/selling your home as a FSBO....isn't it nice to see that agents are so willing to help?

Since you are now questioning timing the listing on the MLS, have you decided to list it, or are you still just curious as to how 'we" (as agents) would handle a listing?
Maskim,
The day your home is on the market is the best day to post the listing. The highest number of views occurs on most websites are Friday-Monday. Also, every situation is different. Who are you trying to reach? I use google.com and several other search engines, each demographic profile uses the internet at different times of the day. You can tailor an ad to do this. Do you have an agent or are you going it alone? If you are going it alone, I don't necessarily agree with you on this decision, but will help you in the best way I can.
The best day for me is when I get the listing. As soon as I get the paperwork, I list it on MLS and websites right away. I can't imagine holding a listing over until the "right" day.
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
Maksim, You should list it when you are ready. typically I like Wednesdays. You have alot of questions for Realtors perhaps you should hire one
Maksim,
As you can see there are many strategies. All have merit. Best thing is to get it on as soon as it is ready to show. You never know when THE buyer will be ready to view your property. Just make sure you are ready to show. Happy selling!
I believe Thursday or Friday Morning is the best time for a seller to put a property on the MLS since most buyers look during the weekend. Most agents are searching for properties to show for the weekend.. If you put it on Monday or Tuesday, you will have less showing and less offers than on the weekend. I would rather have several offers to drive the price up than have a low offer that comes the day the property is listed. I always try to wait over a weekend.
I agree with Susan. You want to make sure you list it on MLS a few days prior to the Open House. Also, if your area has a popular newspaper publication that provides a list of the area Open Houses (usually in Saturday and Sunday Editions) I would recommend submitting an Open House Ad in that paper. In Western MA, where I do business, I receive a lot of visitors at my Open Houses as a result of the ad they see in the Open House Section of the paper. The ad with a small picture costs about $112 and it runs on both Saturday and Sunday.
If it is priced aggressively and in a hot market (like newton), put it up on a thursday and say first showing at open house Sunday ... This usually creates high demand (of course the price and location have to be in-line for it to work :) )

Web Reference: http://territoryre.com
You should look at local trends & traditions, for the best chance of the real estate 3rd party sites to pick it up you'll need to post no less than 72 hours before your open house & also post it to sites like this, Zillow & Realtor.com. If you're using a discount brokerage you'll also want to make sure that they have an enhanced package with Realtor.com for added focus & details as well as with Boston.com to make sure that all the details & contacts are associated with the listing. Also if you're looking to build a website for your listing look at 24-48 hours prior to listing everything to make sure you're web vendor has enough time to reserve & point the domain prior to launch & also for you to have domain site signs made for your property. Video can usually be done in less than 6-12 hours & hosted in the same timeframe. So if you're looking for say this Sunday you're already under the gun to posting & getting everything up & running perfectly for this weekend. But Tuesday/Wednesday are usually the best days to launch for full exposure.

Hope that helps,
IT/Realtor Manager

Wolfson Cutler Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.MedfordHouse.com
I don't think there is a bad day - all clients that meet the criteria will get the notification of a new losting. Open houses (some people prefer Saturday while other Sunday). This time of year, I do not feel that it makes a difference. Just get the open house in MLS no later than Wednesday - this gives clients notice of Open House an time to plan.