Ed Epping, Home Seller in Williamstown, MA

What is the best day of the week/best time of day for open house viewings?

Asked by Ed Epping, Williamstown, MA Sun Mar 10, 2013

Answers

9
Great question. I have noticed that, as the real estate industry has evolved over time (and especially as more people's schedules have become extremely over-crowded), home buyers have (quite understandably) adapted an "I want it now" mentality. So, instead of planning their weekends around going to Open Houses (when it is convenient for a seller), they have an expectation that they should be able to view homes on their timetable. So, the short (and most honest) answer to your question to: when is the best time/ day for an Open House is usually: never. However, if you want to try doing Open Houses as a means of marketing a home, I recommend offering buyers a relatively small window of time to be able to come see the home (as opposed to several hours). The reason for this is: you want to create "demand" for the house. Shorter time windows create a situation where, if people do come to an Open House, more people will be there at the same time. The perception this creates is that there are a lot of people interested in the house, and if they are at all interested in buying it, they need to move quickly and make an offer (as opposed to most "traditional" 2 or 3 hour Open Houses, where 1 or 2 people might "straggle" in at a time, which creates the impression that there is no need to act with a sense of urgency. It tends to it make it seem as if no one else is interested in the house.)

* This message is not intended to solicit currently listed property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 18, 2013
Ed,

It depends on your market. Here in the Southern Berkshires, where most of our buyers are weekenders, open houses are not effective. Weekenders typically contact their buyer's agents before coming up, and appointments are scheduled. However, in the Central Berkshires, particularly in Pittsfield, where buyers are largely full-time, open houses on weekends are effective. Prospective buyers will stop in if the property is advertised.

Broker open houses are always effective, especially if you offer refreshments!

Tom Lynch
Associate Broker, Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut
Berkshire Property Agents
12 Railroad Street
Great Barrington, Massachusetts 01230
http://www.berkshirepropertyagents.com/
All great answers already because it does depend on your area and when open houses are normally held. Many buyers look at more than one home on a Sunday Open so going against the grain and picking slightly odd hours might work to your benefit. Do some research and find out when other comparable homes in your area are holding Open Houses. If they're mostly from 2-4 on a Sunday, pick 1-3pm, 3-5pm, or 1-4pm. The point is that having slightly off hours will make sure you stay on a buyer's viewing list and give them enough time to drop by. After all, an open house is all about how much exposure you can get.

It may be different by town to town...... open houses to the public are usually open on Sunday afternoons, and it also depends on the time of the year, earlier during the winter months because it gets
dark early. usually 12-4 1 - 4 or 2 - 5 often it depends on the availability of the agent holding the open house. There is really no set fixed best time, but most buyers will go browsing on Sunday afternoons.
Some agents like to have an open house also on Saturday afternoons.
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Hi Ed:

If you are an agent, here are a few good days:

1.) Your Broker Tour days, in Silicon Valley, agents call other Brokers and Agents out on
a particular day for Every Town.

2.) The best time for Buyers is the weekend.

3.) Also it is not uncommon on a new listing to hold the property open on a Friday night.

Best regards
Perry
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
In my area 2-4 p.m. on a Sunday.
In our location....Sunday, 1-4 brings the best traffic....
Hello Ed,
This is a great question. I feel it depends on the time of year. Here in Bourne just before Cape Cod, a great time I find is Saturdays 12-3. People are out and about doing errands and will stop in if they see a sign or add it to their list of errands if they know there is an open house scheduled from seeing the advertisement. Sunday open house dates don't work as well for me because of football games, family time and gardening/clean up work on their current homes.
Ed,

Depending on your area. People will generally say on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I had a seller who had the most traffic in their area on Thursday night between 4-9 pm.

Vera