Home Selling in Omaha>Question Details

Homeowner, Home Seller in Omaha, NE

What is the best commission rate I can get for a Home priced around $175,000. in Omaha.

Asked by Homeowner, Omaha, NE Sun Feb 13, 2011

Answers

17
The best commission rate you can get is one that will make other Real Estate agents really want to show your home to potential buyers.
Discuss this point with several Real Estate agents that you have in mind to list your home.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 14, 2011
You don't have to pay commissions, you can hire a flat-fee broker. As far as offering a finder's fee (buyer-broker commission), well, you can do away with that, too. Although it may keep you from being entered into the MLS.

As far as "you get what you pay for," I prefer to say, you can only hope to get what you pay for; if you pay little, you hope to get that much, and if you pay a lot, then you hope to get that much more.

In my experience, people prefer to work for more money when they can, and settle for less when they can't. I wouldn't want to suggest that my discount-priced colleagues cannot provide the level of service as a full-priced colleague . . . but, why would they charge less if they didn't have to? Out of the goodness of their hearts? Because they don't like putting money away at the end of the month? Because they're independently wealthy and don't need to earn money?

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 13, 2011
I offer a variable commission scale that can sell your home for as little as 1%
Please contact me directly and mention this ad for details.
Dan Cheuvront
Deeb Realty
402 850 9640
http://www.omahahomerealtor.com
Commissions are negotiable but what I would first find out is what the going commission rate is in your area. Next, just ask for what you want and see what happens.
There are many factors that go into choosing the right agent for you. You need to make sure they are working for you and fully representing you and your house in the best way possible. Many different variables come into play when an agent is quoting you a commission rate. All the marketing fees are paid upfront by the agent when the home is listed, and the agent does not get compensated for their work until your home closes.

I offer my sellers a competitive marketing plan along with a multi-tiered commission rate plan. I would appreciate the opportunity to meet you. At that time I would like to go over my strategies for selling your home quickly and at the best price possible.

Please feel free to check out my website to learn more about what I do for my buyers and seller and read testimonials from past clients.

Please contact me directly
Megan Jaspers
DEEB Realty
402-740-5519
Megan@DreamsComeHome.com
You should not decide on commission alone. You should interview several agents to see what they offer and who is a good fit for you. I have a very aggressive marketing plan and I am flexible on my commission rates. I would love the opportunity to visit with you. Please contact me directly.
Jan Nicola
Keller Williams Premier One
jan.nicola@gmail.com
402-720-5413
Every agent has their own commission structure. Depending on how the agent plans on marketing the home usually determines the structure. Like myself some agents have a multi-tiered commission structure, call me if you are interested in learning more.

Neil Vacek
Deeb Realty
402-658-0979
Web Reference: http://neilvacek.com
I have a variable rate commission structure, please call me for more information.

Kim Gehrman
DEEB Realty
402.699.2502
As all have said here, commissions are negotiable.

Agents who try to say you get what you pay for are feeding you a load of malarky. Obviously lousy agents can and often do charge the same as great agents.

Agents who try to say that if an agent offers a lower commission percentage that this means their negotiation skills are lacking are threatened by the lower commission: rightly so since they may end up losing the listing to an agent who can offer great service for less.

Agents also don't need to go into all their expenses. Most sellers are only interested in what expenses are pertinent to them. Most businesses don't explain all overhead costs that go into their product or service to justify what they charge. Good agents prove very quickly that they are worth every penny.

I am not saying to go with the lowest commission. Simply follow the advice that some of given below and interview extensively and do your research. Choose an agent based on the agent, not what they charge. Don't assume because an agent charges a higher commission that means they are worth it and don't assume that because an agent charges less, they aren't.
The question should be who is going to treat your money as if it were their own? Commissions are negotiable, but there are many other factors to be considered in your decision. Just be careful not to make a decision on someone because their commission rate is the lowest. Generally, the person charging the lowest should!
Commissions are negotiable. When you authorize a commission you are in actuality paying 2 to 4 people (When two offices are involved you have 2 brokers and 2 agents), commissions cover the cost of advertising, office over head and the hours needed to prepare your listing or buying paperwork, negotiating the sale, MLS fees, Yard signs, Key boxes, phone systems and vehicles’. Commissions are paid to the broker who pays the Agent, the agent has to cover expenses. Commission is not the best way to determine who your agent will be, develop a relationship based on trust. Speak candidly with that agent and negotiate the commission.
Keep in mind that commissions are always negotiable between you and your agent, there are no set standards as it would go against Federal Laws--therefore, consider interviewing in person a few agents, or as many as needed from different realty offices, then choose the one you like best and who has the most to offer--choose your agent with care.
I know you werren't looking for a question as a response however, I must ask you this and perhaps the reasoning will answer it for you....

Do you REALLY want an agent that doesn't protect his paycheck, negotiating your bottom line??? Since you're obviously concerned about the cost of a professional, that should be the question that you need to say ABSOLUTELY NOT! A great agent will deliver the best bottom line for you and themselves!

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions, and I promise you'll hear the honest answers. You deserve to MOVE WITH THE BEST!
Teri Schrieber
CBSHOME Real Estate
689-4041
Web Reference: http://www.Talk2Teri.com
Be careful not to base your sale on a commission rate. There is a cost for marketing, advertising, professional staging and media. All that is paid for by the agent.
Yes you can find a discount agent who will provide minimal exposure but is that what you want ?
We all love to save money but there is a cost for top marketing with an exceptional agent.
Our goal is to sell your home in the shortest time for top dollar. In this market, you want the best, not the cheapest.

Billie Atkinson
NP Dodge Real Estate
Cell: 212-3373
Homeowner,
You may find a limited service company for a few hundred dollars (up front) who will list your home, but then you'll also need to pay a buyer’s agent commission. The exact amounts are always negotiable, but consider this.
The company or agent willing to work for less will also by design have to do less work. If you can find an outstanding agent with a solid recent track record of getting homes sold, good negotiating skills, solid in marketing and legal issues who will work for less than other agents, great. But why would they?
My best advice is to find the best agent with the best combination of experience, knowledge, success, marketing & negotiating skills as your primary focus. Make commission secondary.
A good agent is worth far more than their commission, but a bad one will cost you in so many ways. Best of luck however you decide to go.
Commission rates should be discussed one on one with a local professional real estate agent.

Go under the "Find a Pro" tab on Trulia and search for an agent that you would feel comfortable hiring to help you with your sale. There are many experienced agents that would be qualified to help you.

Best of luck!
I am not an agent, and not from Omaha, but I will give you a non-biased view. You may have someone who is going to tell you that they will sell it for you for a 2% commission, or a $500 click-it fee, but the question is, how badly do you want to sell? I you want to sell, find yourself a good agent who will promote your home properly, and will do all that needs to be done to get it sold. There a reason why Foxton's couldn't make it.