Coastal44, Home Seller in 28540

What is the average percentage fee that a seller would need to pay the realtor in North Carolina?

Asked by Coastal44, 28540 Wed Nov 16, 2011

Answers

7
Great Question: There is NO set fee for listing your property, the norm however is 6 to 7 percent. The commission rate REQUESTED varies from company to company as does the services preformed for the fee. There are companies that will list your home for as little as 3.9% commission and will place your home in the Multiple Listing Service. In most cases this is the ONLY service performed. Some companies use this lower (Limited) rate as a teaser to induce business as well as inducement to offer a full service product at rates of 6 to 7 percent.

This is where the old adage rings true: "You get what you pay for". If you think having a Realtor sell your home is expensive, "Try having a Bad Realtor sell your home".

My Tips are:
1) Consider the Agency that will be listing your property (The More Notable the Better)
2) Consider the Realtor that will be representing your Interest (Hire a FULL-TIME Realtor)
3) Consider how your home will be marketed (HOW are you going to sell my house)
4) Know that homes are taking a little longer to sell due to the down turn in the economy
5) Pay a fair wage (Fact: homes with Higher commissions and bonuses are shown more often increasing your opportunity to sell)

This is probably not what you want to hear but I hope you find this information useful. If you have any other question, Please contact me directly.

Keith Lawrence
Broker, Training Manager
Century 21 American Properties, Inc (South)
http://www.JacksonvilleNcRealtyService.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 17, 2011
Commissions are always negotiable between you abd your agent, there are no set standards as it would go against Federal laws; choose your agent with care and not by commission alone...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 16, 2011
Commission is negotiable. This is what you will always hear. Usually it is 6% on a residential property. If it is a high-end property the commission is usually lower 5%. For land the commission goes around 8-10%. The commission always splits between the company representing the seller and company representing the buyer.
Keith has provided a great answer.

Yes commission are negoitable. somewhat.

Look at it this way, would you take 10% less pay for the same work you do now?

So Ask how the Realtor will market your property?

Good Luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 20, 2011
In Jacksonville the commissions vary from about 4 to 7%. However, your service can vary also. I can list your home in MLS for all agents to view but I also advertise on many different web sties. Obviously the web is the biggest media now. My office is also opened 7 days a week and is right outside the front gate of Camp Lejueune on Lejeune Blvd so we get many Marines to our office looking for homes to rent or buy.
Regards, Denise Phillips, Century 21 American Prop.
Hi Coastal44,

All commissions are negotiable. That said, in CA, the seller usually pays 5%-6% of the purchase price in commission. This is split between the Listing Agent and the Selling Agent (Buyer's Agent).

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
It is difficult to give an exact percentage. A company that just puts a sign in the yard and puts in the MLS, might do it for as little as 4.9%. Or you may prefer a full-service company that actually markets the property and pay around 6%. A particularly difficult (costly) property to market may require 7%. Land and commercial properties might have a total commission as high as 10%.
And those numbers above includes both "sides" of the transaction: what the seller pays the the listing company to market the property, and what that company pays to the agency representing the buyer.
So a 6% commission might be 3% ot the listing company to market, and 3% to the buyer's agency.
In the end, the seller decides what commission he or she will pay, and what their asking price is.
I would be happy to discuss commission and pricing strategies for your particular situation. Call or email me if I can help.
Linwood