Chad, Home Seller in Connecticut

What is the average number of showings before an offer is made?

Asked by Chad, Connecticut Wed Feb 27, 2008

Answers

15
I hate to be the bearer of bad news for some, but YES, there IS an average number of showings to sell a house. It may vary across regions or across time, but at any given point in time, and for any given region, there absolutely IS a statistical average.

I apologize that I do not know the specific answer, but I feel badly for Chad asking a question, then receiving over half of the responses saying there is no average, when there absolutely is such a number. A real estate professional may not know what the average is, but that does not mean that the average does not exist. The fact that the sample set may vary greatly from the average also does not limit the fact or authenticity of the average.

How any specific property will sell in relation to number of showings will certainly vary from that average, in high relation to condition, the market, the price, and the preparation. But, variances are expected ... without variances there would be no meaning to a statistical average.

As with any sampling of occurrences, there is an average, a mean, a standard deviation, and a variance. They are all strictly defined as a means of describing a set of varying occurrences.

Good luck Chad.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 31, 2013
The first question is are you buying or selling? I would really hate to know the answer to this question. while there is probably a midpoint to it, you would find the spread in the population is pretty wide. People often do not buy the first home they look at, but if they have the fever, they will likely look at less than 10. When selling, it all depends on the property. Clean it up, price it right and you should have an offer in less than 10 showings.

If you want to get an idea of how to price your home, you can check out home values in your area by using my website.

http://www.ilmct.com/home_values.asp
Web Reference: http://www.ilmct.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 1, 2008
Provided the listing is complete with descriptions, photo's & correct pricing, I believe if you have more than 15 showings, something needs to change. You should have an offer within the first 10 showings.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 23, 2008
Typically in my experience, it's 10 showings. For every 10 showings you should have an offer. If you do not, then you should change something, whether it's price, condition etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 23, 2008
As a seller, 13 seems to be the average number...or the number that I get concerned (as an agent)at, if there have been no offers. Every property is different (of course) so there can be mitigating circumstances; location challenges? As opposed to number of showings pre offer being the concern...think days on market. Did you have many showings then they dropped off? Even in a buyers market, initial activity is the best activity.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 14, 2008
Chad
The stats I have is that the average buyer looks at 10-12 homes. In California I am told NAR says 24. The bottom line is that if your property is not receiving showings or offers, you probably have a pricing problem (although not ALWAYS)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Chad

According to the NAR statistics most recently compiled the buyers of properties see 9 before purchasing.
Since this is an average it may have little meaning to most people.
Interestingly, NAR doesn't publish a similar figure for how many showings a listing may average prior to a sale.
Keep in mind that in the current media barrage of woeful real estate doom and gloom sound bites, any meaningful data from the past has no relavence.

Rob Gorman
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2008
Hello Chad.. There is really no average. If your property is priced RIGHT for the market and it's good condition and shows well you can get an offer from the FIRST person. If your property has been on the market for more than a month and you have not received any offers or a lack of showings, you probably need to look at price and condition. What has the feedback been from the people who have seen your property, assuming it is listed now? If you have any further quesitons feel free to contact me. Thanks and good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.QuinnRe.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
I wouldn't say that there is an average. It depends on market conditions in your area. If buyers are buying homes in your area and you are seeing similar properties are getting offers and going to contract then I would say an adjustment to price may be necessary.

In a stable market if I have 20 showings on a listing of mine and there are no offers or very low offers it usually tells me that I need to do some statistical work, carefully check the feedback from the agents who showed the property, analyze if something about the house itself needs to be corrected or last resort, see if a price reduction is in order.
There is no average. I Have sold homes on 1 showing and I have had homes with 30-40 showings before I got an offer. Every buyer has different taste. For every buyer there is a seller, the two just have to be brought together. The average time on the market is 3-4 months, but the number of showings differ a great bit.
While everyone has an idea, its really geographically dependent. In Cleveland, it is neighborhood by neighborhood. And one buyer can look at 20 homes and still be indecisive while another buyer can be sure that house showing #1 is the only one necessary, and then SOLD! My recent dealings seem to show that 3 showings per buyer on the same house is the maximum needed, but one buyer can see MANY houses! Best of luck to you!
In the average range of from 1 to 100, dependent in part upon the list price vs. the real market price!
There really is no "average" to the amount of showings before a home is sold. If the home is priced correctly and marketed aggressively, even in today's market you may experience multiple offers within the first few days of being on the market. Many sellers, for many reasons, are more committed to price than selling. If that's the case, then you can expect to homes to be on the market longer and see price reduction after price reduction, and therefore more showings, until the home is finally sold.
Chad,

It depends on the market and how the home is priced. In today's market things are taking a while longer. It could be hundreds of showings or the right person comes in makes an offer on day one.

If you have a home listed your agent should be keeping you informed of what they are doing to market the home, what the open house traffic is and what the feedback from agents as well as buyers is.

Sheri Dettman
You know that is a good question....I showed 2 condos, one which had been on the market for one day and my client made an offer and the offer was excepted!!!!
It is truely depending on giving all the requirements to your agent and the seeing just what you want. With so many homes on the market today I would average a few months on average.
YOU can search thousands of listings just click here http://www.danburyrealestateforsale.com