triplejranch3, Home Seller in Santa Clarita, CA

What is the average commission for a realtor on a mobile home?

Asked by triplejranch3, Santa Clarita, CA Thu Jul 19, 2012

Answers

9
Mobile homes need a specialist in the field and the average commission seems to be 10%

Just to clarify, I see those agents who noted the 10% were agents who work the Santa Clarita, CA area, which was an area noted in the questions data. This lead to responses from some local Santa Clarita agents referring to mobile home (in park) commissions in that area. Commissions are negotiable as stated through out the posts and do vary by state, area and the type of transaction.

Be sure to price it right from the start, as it is a tough market for mobile homes right now as home prices have dropped and sometimes the money down for a mobile can be nearly as much or more than a FHA loan down payment on a condo or a small home. In addition, not all lenders loan on mobiles. I also work the mobile home and land markets, so if you have any more questions feel free to contact myself or another agent to get you headed in the right direction.

Enjoy your day,
TV-Tracy Van De Mark
(661) 310-4004
Lic.01487734
No, 10% isn't "average" or "standard." And I'm not just saying that because all commissions are negotiable. Where I am, the commission tends to be less. It also depends, as noted, on whether it includes the land. What it comes down to is that there's still a lot of work involved in selling a mobile or manufactured home. And a 6% commission (just a hypothetical number) on a $30,000 transaction, perhaps split 4 ways (listing agent, buyer's agent, broker of the listing agent, broker of the buyer's agent) results in almost no commission. That's $450. So, I agree you'll often see commission percentages higher on mobile homes than on stick-built on their own land. And those higher commissions can certainly be justified. But: No standard.

And I agree with Tony that the commission shouldn't be at the top of your list of questions. It IS a specialized service, and you want someone who knows what they're doing.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I'm not in your area, but agree with Tony. You need to find someone that has knowledge of mobile homes. By themselves, they are chattel and not considered real property for MLS standards. When tied to land, the legal descriptions must include the land as well as the home (mobile homes have both serial numbers and label numbers.....double wides and triple wides have sequential label numbers). Specifics related to financing possibilities for potential buyers, proper legal descriptions, and foundation type to fit financing options should be something the agent is knowledgeable of. Good Luck.
TripleJRanch3, The commission fee is not near the top of the list of questions you should be asking. You see, selling a mobile home is a specialized field and finding a Realtor that knows the laws and has the ability to promote your home to the maximum amount of qualified buyers should be your prime concern. You should interview as many Realtors as you need & find your best match. Asking questions is your best tool. I would advise only asking about the commission when you have found a Realtor that seems to be someone worthy of handling your sale. This question should be asked last and in this manner "oh, by the way, how much do you charge?"

I don't sell mobile homes but this advice works for all styles of real estate sales. Call, Text or Email with any other questions. I will help you and those you know sell or buy a traditional home or condo.

Tony Lewis * RE/MAX of Valencia
Web Reference: http://www.TonyLewis.com

Ms. Gallatin is correct, all commissions are negotiable. Mobile home transactions standard commission is 10%. These transactions are just as involved and time consuming as a home or other real estate transactions, but sometimes have other curve balls thrown due to park management involvement, and some other factors. Sales price is usually much lower than other real estate transactions, so commissions would be smaller for the same amount of work and sometimes more as real estate transactions vary. As you can see by the responses not all agents service mobile home buyers and sellers.

Just wanted to know if your speaking of a mobile home in a mobile home park or on it's own land. If you want to chat more about mobile home transactions, I can give you more information so you can make an informed decision that meets your needs.

Enjoy your day,
TV-Tracy Van De Mark
(661) 310-4004
Lic.01487734
All commission amounts are negotiable. It's not my area of expertise, I would recommend checking out who is listing the manufactured homes in your area and go with them.
Laura is correct ...10% is the most common figure. Even then, your agent doesn't make very much on the transaction, which can be almost as complicated as the sale of a regular home. Any less than 10% and you can surely expect the service to be subpar.

Best of luck!
10% is the average. Some agents even ask for up fees on them. I personally don't deal with them.
Good Luck.